Community Forum

Splitting cable input to run separate voice and internet modems

Regular Visitor

Splitting cable input to run separate voice and internet modems

I am a voice/ internet customer that currently owns an Arris TM722 modem. I have my own wireless router which I am upgrading to a NETGEAR AC5300 Nighthawk X8 Tri-Band WiFi Router as well as planning to upgrade to 200/250 mps service (currently 100 mps service that frequently has speed test results of 25 to 75 mps.) 

None of the Comcast approved voice modems are Docsis 3.1. I want to invest in technology that will have future life.

I saw where I could split the cable input connecting one output to the Arris TM722 for only voice support and the other output to a (newly purchased) cable modem such as the Netgear CM1000.

1. Is this a feasible approach?

2. Will this negatively affect internet download speeds?

3. What type of splitter should be used? Any particular frequency range rating?

4. Are there steps that I need to take in configuring the modems or router to work in this configuration?

5. Any suggestions that would be a better alternative than splitting the cable input that allows me to support voice and have a Docsis 3.1 modem output to my router?

Thank you in advance for any help!

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Splitting cable input to run separate voice and internet modems

@Japappas1616 wrote:

1. Is this a feasible approach?

Yes.

2. Will this negatively affect internet download speeds?

No.

3. What type of splitter should be used? Any particular frequency range rating?

Any two way high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz splitter can be used. Don't use any gold colored garbage types or types like GE, Radio Shack, RCA Phillips,Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. 

4. Are there steps that I need to take in configuring the modems or router to work in this configuration?

You need to tell a Comcast rep what you are doing are and that you want to have the 722 provisioned for phone service only and your DOCSIS 3.1 cable modem provisioned for internet service.

Regular Visitor

EG, thank you for your expert advice. I implemented the split of the cable input to the Arris TM722 and to a new Netgear CM1000 cable modem which I connected to a Netgear Nighthawk R8500 Tri-band router. It took about 45 minutes on the phone with tech support to get the new modem provisioned. Once it was provisioned the TM722 was automatically provisioned to voice only.

One thing to note, the tech told me that in some areas customers are allowed to only utilize 1 customer owned modem. If that applied to my installation I would have cancelled the voice service. Fortunately I was allowed both modems.

Once again I want to thank EG, Connection Expert for his response and expert information!

Diamond Problem Solver

Quite welcome. AFAIK, it is two cable modems for data / internet service that some areas do not allow. I believe that all areas will allow a separate data and a separate phone modem to be used.