Community Forum

Speed tests

Contributor

Speed tests

How is a subscriber's speed tier actually measured?  We use both Ookla Speedtest and the Xfinity app, and usually get the following (average) values:

Xfinity > Seattle = ca 250 Mbps; Ookla > Bellingham = ca 400+ Mbps; Ookla > Seattle = ca 260 Mbps.  

We are located in Bellingham, WA, and our Internet service is Extreme Pro, "speeds up to 400 Mbps", but never have gotten above ca. 260 using the Xfinity app, though frequently exceeding that number using Ookla and testing to local server.  Our modem is a Netgear CM600, customer-owned, with latest firmware on board, so well able to support >400Mbps.  All test values were determined using Ethernet connections from router (TP-Link Archer A7) to PC, and consistent across two Windows 7 machines.

So, the question is:  Are these values appropriate to an Extreme Pro (400 Mbps download) service?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Speed tests

@OZ_hamster wrote:

How is a subscriber's speed tier actually measured?  We use both Ookla Speedtest and the Xfinity app, and usually get the following (average) values:

Xfinity > Seattle = ca 250 Mbps; Ookla > Bellingham = ca 400+ Mbps; Ookla > Seattle = ca 260 Mbps.  

We are located in Bellingham, WA, and our Internet service is Extreme Pro, "speeds up to 400 Mbps", but never have gotten above ca. 260 using the Xfinity app, though frequently exceeding that number using Ookla and testing to local server.  Our modem is a Netgear CM600, customer-owned, with latest firmware on board, so well able to support >400Mbps.  All test values were determined using Ethernet connections from router (TP-Link Archer A7) to PC, and consistent across two Windows 7 machines.

So, the question is:  Are these values appropriate to an Extreme Pro (400 Mbps download) service?

You might also test with the Xfinity Beta:

https://speedtest-beta.xfinity.com/

https://www.dslreports.com/faq/15643

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Tried these other sites previously....all gave ave. 240 Mbps down/12 up.  Repeated all speed tests with Modem>PC>Net>speedtests with essentially same results.  Ookla gives round 90-100 Mbps higher down than other sites.

Probably not worrying about, just a curiosity.

Silver Problem Solver

@OZ_hamster wrote:

Tried these other sites previously....all gave ave. 240 Mbps down/12 up.  Repeated all speed tests with Modem>PC>Net>speedtests with essentially same results.  Ookla gives round 90-100 Mbps higher down than other sites.

Probably not worrying about, just a curiosity.

The beta test came the closest to my tier.  Are you saying your test was not in the 300+ range with an ethernet connection?

https://speedtest-beta.xfinity.com/

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Video-10-things-you-can-do-right-now-to-fix-your-int...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Contributor

Are you saying your test was not in the 300+ range with an ethernet connection?

Actually, all I’m doing is quoting various test results, which speak for themselves.  The fact that the Ookla speedtest gives consistently - and by a wide margin - a higher download speed than any of the Xfinity or DSLReports tests, whether testing via home LAN (wired) or directly through modem, may or may not be significant.  Naturally, if speeds begin to decline across all test platforms, I may then request that Tech Support “reprovision” modem with bootfile appropriate to plan speed tier.

Expert

Make sure that you use a speed test that is the closest to your actual physical geolocation as the speeds will be lower on test sites that are located farther away from you.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Already have seen differences, and always try to match speedtests to a constant server, in this case Seattle, to eliminate exactly the issue you raised.

Highlighted
Expert

I don't use the Xfinity speed test anymore, as I've found that browser overhead will often artificially slow down the results - especially once you're at 400 or faster. 

Nowadays, I use either DSL Reports, or the OOKLA Speedtest App (Windows) (MacOS). 

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Expert

I second the latter @darkangelic !!

Contributor

Various articles i’ve read re: ISP speed-testing seem to favor non-browser-based apps...now the DSLReports app has always produced wild swings in download speeds, at least in my hands.  

Bottom line: Stick with Ookla Win7 and iOS speed tests (yes, it’s wireless, but useful for statistical purposes).

@darkangelic wrote:

I don't use the Xfinity speed test anymore, as I've found that browser overhead will often artificially slow down the results - especially once you're at 400 or faster. 

Nowadays, I use either DSL Reports, or the OOKLA Speedtest App (Windows) (MacOS).