Community Forum

Speed and Connection Issues

Regular Visitor

Speed and Connection Issues

Hello,

For years my connection has been stable but over the last month I've had to reboot my modem daily (sometimes multiple times daily) to maintain any kind of connection. My service has one 2-way splitter (indoors) at point of entry to the house, one line serves the cable modem only, the other line is split to TVs. This splitter is currently a new 5-1000 MHz splitter with the cable modem on the -3.5dB OUT.

My cable modem shows what I believe to be low downstream levels and upstream levels that I've read are on the high side. SNR appears to be OK. I show two downstream channels with very low power and corrected/uncorrected values that increase to huge numbers over time.

Throughout the troubleshooting process, I've replaced cable and splitters, tightened all connections, and experimented with position of the cable modem relative to point of entry. At this point, I believe the wiring inside the house is the best it can be, but to exclude any internal wiring issues, I also placed the modem directly at the point of entry behind the two-way splitter. My findings are as follows (I don't believe I can post inline images yet as I believe this is my first post, so I hope these IMGUR links work).

Speed Tier: HSD Performance Pro

Modem: Motorola MB8600 (owned equipment)

Modem at router location, 30' from point of entry (2 hours uptime):

Modem at router location, 30' from point of entry (Rebooted modem, 10 minute uptime):

Modem moved as close as possible to point of entry - 2 feet from incoming service - (1 minute uptime):

Modem as close as possible to point of entry (6 minute uptime):

Modem as close as possible to point of entry (1 day uptime):

Rebooted modem due to connection above (54 mins uptime with error log):

I also bypassed the 2-way splitter at entry and patched directly to the incoming cable from the pole. I apologize for the quality as it's a photo of a laptop and also does not capture the upstream (but I believe they were in the 51-52 range). I was unable to leave this connected for a long duration to see what would happen over time.

Any suggestions about what to do next would be greatly appreciated as I believe I've exhausted what I can do.

Thank you for your time,

Josh

Expert

Re: Speed and Connection Issues

Yep. You have a terrible connection. If there is nothing more that you can do then you have no other choice except to get a tech out to investigate / correct it. 

Bear in mind that if the premises facing techs can not find or fix a problem at your home / drop line from the pole, it is they who are responsible for escalating it to their line / network / maintenance dept. techs. The problem may lie beyond your home in the local neighborhood infrastructure somewhere. Good luck !

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

@EG wrote:

Yep. You have a terrible connection. If there is nothing more that you can do then you have no other choice except to get a tech out to investigate / correct it. 

Hi EG,

Thanks for the quick reply! Do you have any suggestions  about how best to approach this conversation with support?  Just start with whatever the standard connection troubleshooting is (reboot, etc.) and then expect it to end with scheduling a tech dispatch?

Thanks again,

Josh

Expert

Just ask them to look at your modem's health indicators on their tool. They should see that things are in the red rather than in the green. That should automatically prompt them to send a tech. Good luck !!

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

In the end, it was squirrels. A squirrel chewed the cable at the pole. Hope his little snack was worth it. After replacing the cable to the house, here's the result. Perfect!

eOyt4jW

Expert

@JDelp wrote:

In the end, it was squirrels. A squirrel chewed the cable at the pole. Hope his little snack was worth it. After replacing the cable to the house, here's the result. Perfect!

eOyt4jW

Can't see your latest pic. Since you are a new poster, it likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin.

You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

Regular Visitor

Ah... here's another go at it: https://imgur.com/eOyt4jW

Expert

O/k looks good. Thanks. Happy surfing !!