Community Forum

Speed Drops from 200 Mbps to 1 Mbps or Less Daily

Highlighted
Contributor

Speed Drops from 200 Mbps to 1 Mbps or Less Daily

My download speed drops from 200 Mbps to about 1 Mbps or less at least once every day.  My upload speed is always about 12 Mbps and is never affected. The issue is always resolved by rebooting my modem. The modem is not the problem because I have replaced it, and the problem continues. I had a Zoom 5370 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modem and replaced it with an Arris SB6183 16x4 DOCSIS 3.0 modem that a tech had recommended. This problem started in late October when Comcast upgraded the download speeds in my area. For example, my 150 Mbps Blast speed was upgraded to 200 Mbps, and I did not change plans.

FIVE techs have come to my home and none of them ever found any issues. However, each tech replaced the coaxial connectors at the street, at side of my house, and at my cable modem, and replaced the grounded barrell connector on the side of my house. One tech actually told me I was in cable pergatory because it appears to be a problem at the node or hub servicing my area but he could not refer a ticket to them because he did not see an issue at my house. I had to look up the spelling for pergatory because I am Baptist. 🙂

I am an Internet only customer, and I have no splitters on my cable line which is RG6 coax and only about 20 feet long inside my house. The tech told me my outside line is RG11 which has lower loss and is for longer runs and is typically used for burried cable from street to house. There is only one grounded barrell connector on the side of my house that connects the outside RG11 to the inside RG6 between my cable modem and the street.

My modem reports very good upstream and downstream power and SNR levels. However, it does report several T3 timeouts each day which I have read that the cable modem has sent 16 Ranging Request (RNG-REQ) messages without receiving a Ranging Response (RNG-RSP) message in reply from the headend CMTS.

The last technician to visit my home has stayed in contact with me via text. The last I heard was that hub/plant technicians suspect a noise issue somewhere and are investigating. Customer support is useless in this case because all they can do is reset my modem and dispatch another tech to my house. They cannot open tickets for hub/plant technicians.

I work from home, and the reliability of my Internet connection is vital. AT&T fiber was installed in my neighborhood in 2018. I do not want to switch to AT&T, but I may have no choice if this does not get resolved soon.

Is there anyone here that can help escalate my issue?