Community Forum

Some Xfinity Wifi Hotspots not working, others do

Regular Visitor

Some Xfinity Wifi Hotspots not working, others do

I live in a building and in my apartment I have been using one of the Xfinity Wifi Hotspots for the past month. It has worked well until yesterday. I have a Macbook Air and now the the Wifi Icon appears with the bars moving up and down but it never connects. When I open the network preferences I see the following message under Status:

xfinity wifi Wi-Fi has the self-assigned IP address 169.254.173.35 and will not be able to connect to the Internet.

In my apartment there are two Wifi Hotspots that appear, each with different BSSID :

62:95:51:aa:19:66

62:95:51:aa:19:65

It usually tries to connect to the first one but occasionally it tried to connect to the second one. None of them works. The Wifi icon shows the bars moving up and down. 

When I step outside of the apartment  I get 3-4 more additional Xfinity Wifi Hotspots, all with different BSSID. I can identify them by using the airport command from the command line. When I walk at about 10-15 ft from my apartment it connects successfully to one of the other Xfinity Wifi Hotspots. If I move farther away it switches to a Xfinity Wifi HotSpot with a different BSSID and the connection is good. 

I am suspecting that the two Xfinity Wifi Hotspots that show in my apartment stopped working for some reason. I am not sure if these are Hotspots from one of my neighbor's routers or from the ones that Xfinity has around the city. If it is the latter is it possible for a technician to reboot them? 

What are my options? 

Official Employee

Re: Some Xfinity Wifi Hotspots not working, others do

nikosb, thank you for reaching out here! I'm sorry to hear about the Hotspot issues you're running into. I use them all the time when I'm out and about and I don't have any data on my phone! It's a great way to stay connected. 

I'd be happy to review the area further with you. It does sound to me like it could be an issue with the neighbor's services, but I wouldn't be able to troubleshoot that without speaking to them. I'm still more than happy to take a further look and ensure nothing is wrong with the node. Feel free to send me a PM with your first and last name as well as your address to get started!

To send me a Private Message, please click my name “ComcastAlly” and click “send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the reply. How can I send you a PM? I can't find the link to do that.

Do you want the name and address that is on the account or the address where I am having problems connecting to the xfinity Wifi?

EDIT: I found how to send a PM

Official Employee

@nikosb, there is no link, just click on the name “ComcastAlly” and then click on  “send a message.” Do you happen to see that option available on your end? 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Regular Visitor

I found how to send a PM. I just sent you a message. Thank you for looking into that.

Official Employee

@nikosb, fantastic and I am happy you got that sent over. I have responded to your private message if you could please get back to me at your earliest convenience. 

Regular Visitor

I replied to your message. I hope you find out what is wrong with the particular hotspot.