Community Forum

So Comcast when you say I have 200mbps Download speed are we talking in Megabytes or Megabits

New Poster

So Comcast when you say I have 200mbps Download speed are we talking in Megabytes or Megabits

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: So Comcast when you say I have 200mbps Download speed are we talking in Megabytes or Megabits

It's the latter.

New Poster

Re: So Comcast when you say I have 200mbps Download speed are we talking in Megabytes or Megabits

I just wanted someone from Comcast to admit to that fact, instead of the lies and half-truths I've been getting. I know whether we're talking about Megabytes or Megabits, I'm not getting what I'm paying for and I don't expect to ever get 200Mbps, just like I never expected to get 56k download when I had dial-up internet back in the 1990s, I usually got 28.8k to 39k and every once in awhile something in the low 40s. So I should be getting speeds of at least 130 to 150Mbps on my two devices that operate with 5gigahertzs, my iPod Touch and my Roku 3 and not at 50-75Mbps! My laptop is 6 years old and I know only works with the slower 2.4gigahertz, but that should be up around 50-60Mbps and not down around 25-35Mbps. Heck, I even got a download speed on my computer of .095Mbps using Comcast's own Speedtest.      

New Poster

Well, it's megabits, megabytes is MBps, so no deception there.

I have xfinity Triple Play with Blast internet rated at up to 200Mbps download speed. I was testing at 140 Mbps using Comcast's modem and my own Asus RT-N66U router. I then recieved an email from Comcast stating that my modem was out of date, and that Comcast would provide a newer, updated wireless gateway modem with a built in router. I accepted the offer and soon received the new modem/gateway by mail. After installing the new hardware my download speed went up to 230 Mbps and my in home wireless speed nearly tripled. Maybe you should check and see if you have the most up to date modem and router equipment. I am very happy with my new equipment.

Expert

clemusboy wrote:

I just wanted someone from Comcast to admit to that fact, instead of the lies and half-truths I've been getting. I know whether we're talking about Megabytes or Megabits,

Mbps (megabits per second) is the proper unit to measure data transmission speeds.

I'm not getting what I'm paying for and I don't expect to ever get 200Mbps, just like I never expected to get 56k download when I had dial-up internet back in the 1990s, I usually got 28.8k to 39k and every once in awhile something in the low 40s. So I should be getting speeds of at least 130 to 150Mbps

No.There isn't overhead like in the old days of dial-up. Your speeds are provisioned for slightly faster than advertised speeds. You should see those speeds most of the time if not always.

on my two devices that operate with 5gigahertzs, my iPod Touch and my Roku 3 and not at 50-75Mbps! My laptop is 6 years old and I know only works with the slower 2.4gigahertz, but that should be up around 50-60Mbps and not down around 25-35Mbps. Heck, I even got a download speed on my computer of .095Mbps using Comcast's own Speedtest.  

You can't measure speed this way. You need to connect to the modem via ethernet with a computer equipped with an appropriate network adapter. No router, no WiFi.  

I am not an employee.
Frequent Visitor

Comcast is not lieing in no shape or form.....

Their is a difference in 200Mbps and 200MB/s

Comcast says you have 200Mbps which is about 20MB/s

The one confused is the customer....

Diamond Problem Solver

Oy... Pointed out in post number 2 guys.....