Community Forum

Small latency spikes while gaming

Contributor

Small latency spikes while gaming

Hello,

So pretty recently I started noticing my latency seemed to vary a little more than usual in games. I think I narrowed it down to being the first hop after my modem, here's a small sample:

Ping statistics for 96.120.102.141:
Packets: Sent = 30, Received = 30, Lost = 0 (0% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 9ms, Maximum = 31ms, Average = 15ms

This isn't a huge deal, but I've always been a little OCD when something is a little off. These little spikes seem to occur at all hours of the day and night. I've had issues in the past with very bad latency but how are these small ones happening? Would be nice to have it be more stable like it once was. Any insight is appreciated.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Small latency spikes while gaming

What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

Is this a WiFi connection ?

Contributor

As far as I know they're within spec; the downstream power is 0 dBmV, upstream power is 47 dBmV and snr is 37-38 dB. My modem is an Arris SB6141, and no it's not WiFi.

Diamond Problem Solver

There are three additional signal stats than can cause problems which can't be read by the modem. They can only be read from their end by them polling the CMTS (Cable Modem Termination System) at the local headend facility.

They are the "Upstream Rx Power" (Upstream Receive Power Level), the "Upstream SNR Ch." (Upstream Signal To Noise Ratio), and the "Upstream ICFR" (In Channel Frequency Response). These are as equally important in diagnosing connectivity issues as are the modem's stats.

You can call in and ask what these figures are. The Upstream Receive Power Level should fall within the range of -2dB to +2dB with 0dB being in the middle and perfect.

The Upstream SNR should be least 31dB, and the higher it is the better.

The ICFR should be no higher than 2 dB.

You could have an intermittent noise ingress issue in only the upstream channel(s) / return path only somewhere.

They will be able to see whether or not everything is in the green zone and also see a history plot for the modem.

Also be advised that this (jitter) could be being caused by a capacity / traffic congestion problem on your local cable segment / node.