Community Forum

Slow wifi download speed

New Poster

Slow wifi download speed

I just upgraded to an intel dual-band wifi/router.  Connected via ethernet, my laptop gets download speed of about 177 Mbps.  Connected via 5ghz wifi signal, less than 6!  I have tried changing setting via the Xfi app, but nothing helps.  Any advice is much appreciated.

Expert

Re: Slow wifi download speed

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the advice.  I have tried all those.  Wifi signal is strong to the laptop.  I still only get 6 or less Mbps download speed even when the laptop is positioned only inches from the modem/router.  I have read that disabling the QoS can help, but I can't find such a feature on the new Intel router.

Expert

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Thanks for the quick reply.  No.  When I hook the same laptop directly with an ethernet cable, download speed is 177 Mbps.  Remove the cable and rely on 5 Ghz wifi, download speed drops to 5 Mbps.

New Poster

Dell helped me solve this issue by having me remove the Smartbyte program (a Microsoft-installed video optimization app).  Removed this via Control Panel, and now the wifi runs almost as fast as hardwire.

Tags (2)