Community Forum

Slow wifi download speed

New Poster

Slow wifi download speed

I just upgraded to an intel dual-band wifi/router.  Connected via ethernet, my laptop gets download speed of about 177 Mbps.  Connected via 5ghz wifi signal, less than 6!  I have tried changing setting via the Xfi app, but nothing helps.  Any advice is much appreciated.

Diamond Problem Solver
New Poster

Re: Slow wifi download speed

Thanks for the advice.  I have tried all those.  Wifi signal is strong to the laptop.  I still only get 6 or less Mbps download speed even when the laptop is positioned only inches from the modem/router.  I have read that disabling the QoS can help, but I can't find such a feature on the new Intel router.

Diamond Problem Solver

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

New Poster

Thanks for the quick reply.  No.  When I hook the same laptop directly with an ethernet cable, download speed is 177 Mbps.  Remove the cable and rely on 5 Ghz wifi, download speed drops to 5 Mbps.

New Poster

Dell helped me solve this issue by having me remove the Smartbyte program (a Microsoft-installed video optimization app).  Removed this via Control Panel, and now the wifi runs almost as fast as hardwire.

Tags (2)