Community Forum

Slow upload speeds

Frequent Visitor

Slow upload speeds

Hello,

I have a few questions regarding my new Xfinity service.

-Why are my upload speeds a fraction of my download? 12mbps on a 400 down plan.

-Why is my tested download speed not up to par with my maximum speed? ~250mbps on a 400mbps plan.

-Why is a plan with such high speeds offered in an apartment far from any server and one which still uses cat5e cables?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Highlighted
Expert

Re: Slow upload speeds

@Madelinecash94 wrote:

-Why are my upload speeds a fraction of my download? 12mbps on a 400 down plan.

The current upstream / return path bandwidth spectrum allocation on DOCSIS is physically limited. It's the nature of the beast. This why there isn't as much flexibility with offering faster upload speeds compared to the download.

-Why is my tested download speed not up to par with my maximum speed? ~250mbps on a 400mbps plan.

Call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to completely remove the modem from your account and to "re-provision" it from scratch. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

-Why is a plan with such high speeds offered in an apartment far from any server and one which still uses cat5e cables?

Don't understand this question. Please clarify.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

This helped a great deal. Thank you for your post!

Elaborating much further on the final question. I would like to upgrade my mesh network from cat 5 to cat 6. My entire apartment is wired with cat5 cabling meant for a network of phone lines. There are an excessive amount of outlets that are not put into use because very few have a home phone these days.

If I had access to my apartments attic, I could install a new board (in my closet) and run new cabling throughout the apartment. However, I do not have access and the apartment’s maintenance man said he’s never had a request like that as most use WiFi.

Should I contact Xfinity with a service request to upgrade my home network with new Ethernet cables? Maybe an electrician? At minimum I’d like one cord lined through the attack from my closet to the wall opposite the apartment.

Thank you again!
Expert

Comcast does not do the wallfishing of cables anymore. You'll need to hire a low voltage electrician for that.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!