Community Forum

Slow internet speeds (only over WiFi)

Frequent Visitor

Slow internet speeds (only over WiFi)

I’ve been a happy Xfinity customer with my first home for over a year. The last 2-3 months tho I’ve had some issues with very slow speeds, lags during gaming and complete drop of service.
-
I finally called xfinity to resolve the issue. I pay for performance 60mbps. Over Ethernet I am testing at 70mbps +. Over WiFi I am at 25mbps or less. They said it sounds like the physical lines are good and the gateway might be bad. Due to having the proper speeds at the gateway but over WiFi it drops so low.
-
I ran to the local store. Swapped the box. My speeds are not much better. Still bad most of the time. 70+ mbps over Ethernet and rarely above 50mbps over WiFi. But most of the time, I’ve tested and it drops below 30mbps still. Sometimes only 15-20mbps.
-
I’ve gone into admin settings and changed channel setting to manual and messed around with different channels. Channel 3 seems to be the best for me. I am on the 60mbps speed. XB3 gateway. And have about 8-10 devices total. Never more than 4-6 devices are used at the same time. Never had issues until 2-3 months ago. I think that’s all the info I have. I was told to call the advance wireless team. But it’s after hours and thought I’d reach out on here.
Expert

Re: Slow internet speeds (only over WiFi)

Some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/improve-your-wireless-home-network

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

I appreciate your input. But this is a problem that just arose within the last 2-3 months. Nothing different. Gateway is in the central room of a 1 story 1400 sq ft home. All devices using WiFi are within 10-20 ft of gateway. It’s located on a table in my guest room. All by itself. With nothing blocking it. And nothing else interfering with it in this room. The device has been rebooted daily for the 2 days I’ve owned it. And the previous gateway was rebooted once a month and every day towards the end of owning it. Unless I got another bad gateway. I doubt it’s a gateway issue. Speeds are proper at the gateway via hardwire Ethernet. But speeds drop to less than half or even 1/4 of the speeds I pay for. Within 15 ft of gateway.
Contributor

just curious, are you using the 2.4 band or the 5g band? or are yours combined? I tryed to combind them with little luck, separate, i have the 250mbs service and on the 2.4 band i get 71 mbs and using the 5g band i get 293mbs, everything is in the same place, only differnce is the band i am using and the results are on 2 Linux computers 3 feet apart both using the wifi, just a thought

Expert

@ASTATENATE wrote:
I appreciate your input. But this is a problem that just arose within the last 2-3 months. Nothing different. Gateway is in the central room of a 1 story 1400 sq ft home. All devices using WiFi are within 10-20 ft of gateway. It’s located on a table in my guest room. All by itself. With nothing blocking it. And nothing else interfering with it in this room. The device has been rebooted daily for the 2 days I’ve owned it. And the previous gateway was rebooted once a month and every day towards the end of owning it. Unless I got another bad gateway. I doubt it’s a gateway issue. Speeds are proper at the gateway via hardwire Ethernet. But speeds drop to less than half or even 1/4 of the speeds I pay for. Within 15 ft of gateway.

Try using the 5 GHz WiFi band (if your network client devices support it) instead of the 2.4 band.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

I was told by the xfinity service rep that the SSID was a dual ghz setting. Because I told them my 5ghz option doesn’t even pop up. My SSID is custom. And I click it. She said it auto logs on at 5ghz or 2.4ghz. Whichever is supported by whichever device. Not sure how true that is.
Contributor

I configured my 2.4 and 5g to be separate, i did it in the control panel, i believe 2.4 gives better coverage, but is more congested, 5g is way faster for me, I also played around with different channels and bandwith settings, i pay for 250mbs and get 293 mps on 5g, i am more then happy

Frequent Visitor

How do I configure the 2.4/5ghz to be separate?
Frequent Visitor

Never mind. I separated my 2.4 and 5ghz networks. Still lagging during gaming. And YouTube. I called xfinity CS Friday and they said I had an “unstable connection” from their testing on their end. I was like yeah obviously. Lol they have a tech coming out Tues between 1-3pm. I have a new gateway, checked all cabling to wall, so not sure what they can do, but hopefully once whatever is fixed. I can connect to 5ghz network and run a little better than before I started having issues.
Frequent Visitor

So the tech came out today. Found nothing wrong with my gateway / modem. He replaced anyways. He also replaced the cable running from the pole to my house. Still the same thing. I’m getting 70-80mbps via Ethernet/hardwired to my laptop. On my Xbox I’m getting 5mbps... can’t even play games. And YouTube videos are still lagging so bad I get kicked off.
-
The tech said he would put in a ticket for a higher up than him, tech to come out and physically check the poles. I’m about ready to switch to AT&T and bundle my cell service with them and save $ and stop having to deal with this nonsense. I’ve been a happy xfinity customer for 6 years. And over 1 year at this location with no issues. But for a tech to tell me “I’ve done all I can and replaced everything, idk what to tell you.” And me waiting for someone who may/May not come out is a little ridiculous.
Official Employee

ASTATENATE, thank you so much for reaching out here on the forums. I'm sorry to hear about the issues you're running into! I'd love to take a look at this further with you to see if there's an update on the ticket you mentioned. Please send over a PM with your first and last name to get started. 

To send us a Private Message, please click “Comcast_Support” and click “Send a message.”

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.