Community Forum

Slow internet, erratic behavior

New Poster

Slow internet, erratic behavior

For some days now I've been having slow erratic internet speeds.

A support tech said my (owned) cable modem, an Arris TM722G, was too old, so they could not access it.

So I bought a new Arris SB8200. It's working, but things have gotten slower.

My internet speeds are now perhaps less erratic, but less than half what they used to be, and about a quarter of what I'm supposed to get.

I think the speed settings for my account have gotten mis-set and a tech could see that and fix them. But how to get someone to do that?

I tried to use the Chat mechanism to get help, but after 20 hours with no response I gave up. Tried again today and it acted the same, so I gave up after a while figuring there's no point.

Tags (1)
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Slow internet, erratic behavior

Call 1-800-comcast and ask a rep to *roll and re-provision* the modem. Also ask them to confirm that the provisioning and account data in their database is correct and complete and that the correct configuration / bootfile for your subscribed to speed tier is being pushed to the modem.

New Poster

Called for a tech visit, and it's now fixed.

Turned out part of the problem was a bundle deal had expired and that had cut my speed some, then the new modem installation somehow got confused/lost at the Xfinity end and cut the speed limits again.

In the end I upgraded my Blast plan from Pro to 200 for $10/mo more, and I'm seeing 225 at the moment.

So there's still no explanation of all the variability I was seeing, but perhaps the old modem actually was failing, especially because I was seeing uploads twice as fast as downloads sometimes.

The online chat support wasn't usable, waited 20 hours with no connect. But the telephone support was almost no waiting, and efficient. Times change things. I hadn't wanted to call because I remembered 2+hour hold times, agony. Not today.

Diamond Problem Solver

Good to hear that you got it straightened out !

New Poster

Hilarious response.    She is expressing frustration with each aspect of Xfinity's service.    Nothing resolved at all.

Diamond Problem Solver

@zilly wrote:

Hilarious response.    She is expressing frustration with each aspect of Xfinity's service.    Nothing resolved at all.

Uh. Please re-read their last post. They stated this: "Called for a tech visit, and it's now fixed."

And they marked their topic as being "answered" / solved.