Community Forum

Slow Xfinity Gigabit Internet with Motorola MB8600

Frequent Visitor

Slow Xfinity Gigabit Internet with Motorola MB8600

I recently upgraded my service to the Gigabit service in the area surrounding metro Atlanta.

I have the Motorola MB8600 and an Apple MacBook Pro 2016 connected directly via a Cat.6 cable and USB C Gigabit Ethernet adapter. I am consistently getting in the 350-450Mbps download range and 35-40Mbps upload range. I've talked to tech support which hasn't helped much other than verifying that all my software is up to date, resetting my modem, and scheduling a tech. Does anyone know if it might be the MB8600 or Comcast's lines run from the node to my house? The tech had to install an amplifier in my home before the connection gets to the Motorola MB8600 modem if that helps. I've attached the readings from the modem and a few speed tests. Thank you.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/7507708610

http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest/36492546

http://speedtest.xfinity.com/results/JK5R15FE79I5KFR

Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 2.23.22 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 2.23.13 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-07-28 at 2.23.05 PM.png
Expert

Re: Slow Xfinity Gigabit Internet with Motorola MB8600

Are there any other splitters or attenuators involved before the modem? Your downstream levels look a bit on the marginal side on some channels while your OFDM channel looks like its in bad shape with a low power and a low SNR.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

Yes, there is a 4-way splitter that the original technician installed with an amplifier built-in. It appears to be made by Antronix and I believe the model number is MVRA502B.

I just went and purchased a new Arris SB8200 and it seems to be working a bit better but still very inconsistent. I have a tech coming out tomorrow morning, hopefully we can get to the bottom of this.

Expert

I was going say a new modem isnt going to fix those problems. Since you do have that there, it may actually be likely that the problem is on Comcast's end or at least beyond your premises. However, bear in mind, if a wiring problem is found inside your house you will be billed for the visit.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for helping to trouble shoot, I'll let you know tomorrow morning what happens.

Frequent Visitor

No wiring issues found in my home, the tech left my setup as-is. The tech scheduled another appointment for an external premises tech to upgrade the local node/tap that feeds the block of homes on my street. He said it only has 4 feeds with numerous splitters to provide service to 8 - 10 homes. On top of that, I'm the furthest feed from the node/tap. I'll see if speeds improve if/when this process is completed. All wiring in my area is underground.

Expert

Keep the thread updated on how it goes.