Community Forum

Slow Wired Internet Connection

New Poster

Slow Wired Internet Connection

I was reading about someone with really slow internet connection that is a wired connection. They noticed that one port on their new modem was slower than the other port. Well, I have the same issue. I was on the phone with Comcast for an hour trying to fix the issue and they finally got fed up and said they will call back in 30 minutes to see if it got better and they never called back. I continued to trouble shoot the issue. I have another PC connected to the right port of the modem and my main PC on the left port. My main PC was getting about 5 mbps down loads when I checked my other PC it was getting 175mbps and I switched the cables from one port to the other and now my main PC is getting 295mbps while the other one is now getting 5.5, so it looks like either I have a modem with a bad port or there is some odd issue with these things. Unusual to have two customers with the exact same issue with new modems. As usual I can't get help with the issue, but I would like to know if the modem needs to be replaced. One working port isn't going to cut it as I have two wired connections. Anyone have an idea? Should I ask for a new modem or is it a software issue that can be fixed by maybe an update?

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Slow Wired Internet Connection

First, try resetting it back to factory defaults by depressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds. Sometimes that can clear up some funky firmware issues. No joy ? Get it swapped.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello cmj2112. Welcome to the Xfinity Forums and thank you for creating your first post. I can assist with further troubleshooting your slow wired connection issue. Were you able to follow the suggestion "EG" made and factory reset your modem and retest? 

Please advise, we are more than happy to continue to assist as needed. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Official Employee

Hi cmj2112. Since we didn't see a response from you, this thread has been locked. Please don't hesitate to send me a private message if you continue to need help with this issue, or create a new post if you need assistance with anything else. Thank you.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.