Community Forum

Slow WiFi after router upgrade

New Poster

Slow WiFi after router upgrade

We recently were 'upgraded' to an Arris TG1682G Xfinity gateway for our home internet service.  We are on the 150/5 Performance Pro plan and were not having problems with our old router/gateway.  Since the 'upgrade' we have been having significant issues with speed.  I mostly observe this with our mobile devices.  Nothing is hard-wired into the equipment.  We have several home appliances (Roku, Xbox, etc.) as well as PCs using the WiFi without significant issue.  The major problem appears to be with phones.  Both iphones and Android devices are basically unusable on the new gateway.  Connecting doesn't seem to be a problem though I do note that I am reconnecting very often on my Samsung.  I have tried using network analyzer tools on my phone and have noticed that the signal is definitely weaker than the old gateway - even though it is placed in exactly the same location.  I really need to fix this issue or we will be canceling our service.  I have seen MANY other threads on the forums of similar experiences from other customers but no good solutions / findings.

Expert

Re: Slow WiFi after router upgrade

Is it on the 2.4GHz, or just 5GHz, or both? Regardless of which one it is affecting, I will be posting some screenshots for you shortly to show you somethings to look for to see if you can get some improvement.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Also, are you using one SSID (names) or two different SSIDs? If one SSID, try disconnecting and reconnecting to the Wi-Fi. Also, is Ethernet ok?

1. Log into your gateway at http://10.0.0.1 with the default username/password combo, if you have not changed it already of admin/password, if it is your first time logging into it, you will be forced to change your password first. (sorry about the blue coloring in that one)

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.46.11 PM.pnghttp://10.0.0.12. Click Connection > WiFi

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.46.30 PM.png

3. Click Edit on the one for 2.4GHz

Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.46.38 PM.png

4. I would at least change the channel bandwidth, that should be all you have to worry aboutScreen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.49.52 PM.png2.4 Channel Bandwidth

5. After those changes are saved, do the same thing to the 5GHz band as well except use 20/40/80.Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 12.51.29 PM.png5GHz Channel Bandwidth

After you are done, you can log out of the gateway. After these, hopefully, it should help bring some improvement to your wireless, unless if your channel bandwidth settings match these above.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

We are using one SSID name for both frequencies (2.4 & 5GHz).

The ethernet connection works very well.  My speedtests show >140Mbps download and ~5Mbps upload - even on wireless in the same room as the router (faster on ethernet).

I updated the 2.4GHz network to be 20/40.  That made some *slight* improvement in the performance but I am still having poor connection capability in some parts of my house - which were fine prior to the use of this new router.

New Poster

Update: So, I did see some improvement in the WiFi performance on my Samsung phone but I've definitely noticed very poor performance on the new router. If I'm sitting in another room on the same floor as the router, I keep getting disconnects / refresh WiFi connections. This is a real problem when I am using my office for work calls (GoToMeeting or Google Hangouts). I am very often disconnected in middle of work calls. My computer(s) say that the WiFi signal strength is either "Good" or "Excellent" but I looked on my network analyzer app in this office room and it's showing speed <52Mbps (-74dBm) in the room.  It is literally less than 30 feet from the router on the other side of the house (same floor / level).  This is extremely frustrating and makes my work productivity suffer.  I need to get resolution on this issue and will be calling XFinity to get Tech Support engaged.  Wanted to keep this thread updated so people can benefit from my experience / learning.

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, there are other options. Google for WiFi repeaters / range extenders, WiFi mesh systems / pods, powerline ethernet adapters, MoCA adapters. Good luck !

Frequent Visitor

The 5 ghz channel has less range than the 2.4, most of the newer devices seem to default to the 5 g connection. You should be able to look in your router at connected devices and determine which frequency they are using. If not, just change the ssid for either 2.4 or 5 to something different , go into your office and connect to each and check your signal levels. 

New Poster

EG, Thanks for the reply.  I'm thinking of going this route, in addition to working with Comcast to try to troubleshoot the existing router signal issue.  What would you recommend as far as repeater vs. extender?  I was thinking like a <$70 repeater but seems like a lot of the tech reviews recommend spending the time and money to get a good extender and, essentially, setting up the extended network.  I think that will annoy at least one main user in my house (spouse).  Thoughts appreciated.  My complaint with this approach is that the old / original Comcast router seemed to work fine from everywhere in the house and now that I have a "new"/better router I have to get more network equipment because the "new"/better unit from Comcast is NOT "new"/better.  It should just ACTUALLY work better than the old unit - or at least the same!

New Poster

jw32097 - i'm doing this now.  i was hoping to NOT have to split the network IDs but I think at this point it will at least help me understand which channel is causing the drops / poor performance.  thanks!