Community Forum

Slow Speeds with my own equipment

Regular Visitor

Slow Speeds with my own equipment

Simple terms - Gigabit service (Equipment is new out of the box.  I have several CISCO RV320's

Connected equipment: Motorola MB8600 -> CISCO RV320

-----> Speeds never get over 500 Mbps.  Usually around 300 to 400
 Then test with - Connected equipment: Motorola MB8600 -> laptop

-----> Speeds have not got over 400 Mbps

I did have a Netgear CM1000 and was having the same issues but I was able to get close to 900 Mbps connected directly to the Modem.  

Now during the activation I was asked if I was feeding a router frm the modem which leads me to think I am somehow getting throttled down so that I have to turn around and use their modem/router in order to obtains the speeds I am paying for.

Any ideas?  I think Ihave changed everythign setting on the router and everhywhere else

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Slow Speeds with my own equipment

@stagen wrote:

Simple terms - Gigabit service (Equipment is new out of the box.  I have several CISCO RV320's

Connected equipment: Motorola MB8600 -> CISCO RV320

-----> Speeds never get over 500 Mbps.  Usually around 300 to 400
 Then test with - Connected equipment: Motorola MB8600 -> laptop

-----> Speeds have not got over 400 Mbps

I did have a Netgear CM1000 and was having the same issues but I was able to get close to 900 Mbps connected directly to the Modem.  

Now during the activation I was asked if I was feeding a router frm the modem which leads me to think I am somehow getting throttled down so that I have to turn around and use their modem/router in order to obtains the speeds I am paying for.

Any ideas?  I think Ihave changed everythign setting on the router and everhywhere else

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

None of that helps.  Xfinity Tech was out for several hours and it all led back to having to use one of their modems

Regular Visitor

Got another Xfinity modem yesterday.  900 Mbps speeds

My NEW Xfinity approved modem with a direct connection half the speed.  5XX max

Xfinity has to be doing something to throttle down the speed to push you towards renting their equipment. 

Silver Problem Solver

@stagen wrote:

Got another Xfinity modem yesterday.  900 Mbps speeds

My NEW Xfinity approved modem with a direct connection half the speed.  5XX max

Xfinity has to be doing something to throttle down the speed to push you towards renting their equipment. 

I'm getting ~940/40 with my Arris XB6 and an ethernet connection with my I7 Win10 desktop.

I seriously doubt they are throttling; there are a lot ofComcast-approved retail modems that support Gigiabit.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/454255721344926/permalink/1848068538630297/?comment_id=1848218898615...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Regular Visitor

And we have gone through almost all of them.  Another tech out.  Same issue.  They cannot explain why I can get the proper speeds (some of the time) with only the Xfinity modem.    If they are not throttling "my" connection down then they are not properly provisioning my owned modem on their end so that they properly talk.

The last 2 days the best I get is 10 Mbps down and 0.3 Mbps up.  And tha tis using the Xfinty modem.  

Regular Visitor

Had yet another tech out, not sure why they sed them as there is nothing they can do.

On a 5th NEW modem now, Arris SB8200, and same results.  Nothing above 500 Mbps on the download.  So, 5 different modems, all new and nothing over 500 Mbps.  I find it very troubling that I can only reach the speeds I am "paying " for if I am forced to rent the Xfinity modem.  Something definitely is nor right and I do not believe it to be on my end.  

Regular Contributor

Sorry that I don't have an answer\solution for you, but I'm curious if your problem has been resolved or if you have moved on? Thanks!

New Poster

I only have the 150 tier download but also was getting 75-90 no matter what I tested on, wired or wifi.  A tech came out and looked at my setup and then saw my straight through monoprice switch after my Xfinity Modem/Router and said there was my problem.  He said the modem is splitting my signal between wifi and the wired connection.  We plugged it directly to the back of modem and unplugged switch and I got over 150 mbps download.  He told me to enable bridge mode and get a seperate wifi router and it would correct the problem.

I'm now looking at the netgear modems and routers.  Would prefer an all in one but can't find any articles related to if other "all-in-one" modem/routers do the same thing or if it will still be an issue with seperate modem and wifi router going into a switch.  All rooms in house have ethernet but only using about 5 wired connections.

Not sure if this helps you but may give you something to look into.

Regular Contributor

@bbmxta wrote:

. . .  snipped . . .

I'm now looking at the netgear modems and routers.  Would prefer an all in one but can't find any articles related to if other "all-in-one" modem/routers do the same thing or if it will still be an issue with seperate modem and wifi router going into a switch.  All rooms in house have ethernet but only using about 5 wired connections.

Not sure if this helps you but may give you something to look into.

Thanks for your input. It's encouraging to me that at least you are getting the 150+ Mbps with the MB8600 modem that you expected to get. I assume you have no connection or other issues since you didn't mention any.

I am a firm believer in separate modem and router so the first thing I did with Comcast's gateway was to put it into bridge mode.

Good luck in your search.

New Poster

I do not have Gigabit internet through Comcast... I am a Network and CCNA certified individual with plenty of knowledge of networking. My plan is 250Mbps, I switched to using my own equipment which is very high quality. When using my personal modem/router I was getting an average of 17Mbps. I checked and double-checked my settings but was unable to find a solution. I decided to rent a Comcast modem to see if my speed is being throttled I was able to get at least 150Mbps right away. I am now certain Comcast is trying to force people to rent their equipment to make as much money as they can.

Expert

6 month old dead thread now being closed.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!