Community Forum

Slow LAN speeds

Frequent Visitor

Slow LAN speeds

I've been having issues with my wifi dropping on my computer, due largely to the gateway having several walls and other stuff between it and my desktop. Following a comcast techs advice I got a set of powerline adaptors and the connection is much more stable now. The problem is that its MUCH slower. On the WiFi when its connected I can get the max 2-250Mbs on speedtest but on the powerline it pegs at 60Mbs. I logged on to the gateway and its showing the LAN port having a 1000Mbs connection and the TP-Link utility is showing a 300Mbs link between the adaptors so in theory I should be a lot faster. I noticed that in Windows it is showing me connected to the 2.4 when using the LAN connection, is that normal? What can I do to get the connection to speed up? 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Slow LAN speeds

@NavyGuy2007 wrote:

I've been having issues with my wifi dropping on my computer, due largely to the gateway having several walls and other stuff between it and my desktop. Following a comcast techs advice I got a set of powerline adaptors and the connection is much more stable now. The problem is that its MUCH slower. On the WiFi when its connected I can get the max 2-250Mbs on speedtest but on the powerline it pegs at 60Mbs. I logged on to the gateway and its showing the LAN port having a 1000Mbs connection and the TP-Link utility is showing a 300Mbs link between the adaptors so in theory I should be a lot faster. I noticed that in Windows it is showing me connected to the 2.4 when using the LAN connection, is that normal? What can I do to get the connection to speed up? 

FYI, I gave up on powerline and range extenders and even an extra router to improve my wifi.  I finally invested in the Orbi and my wifi is much better and never goes down.

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33132-wi-fi-system-retest-netgear-ac3000-o...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Expert

Re: Slow LAN speeds

@NavyGuy2007 

MoCA adapters may be an option for you to consider. They are much better and faster than powerline ethernet adapters. You can Google them for more info / ideas.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!