Community Forum

Slow Internet Connections, Dropped VPNs on Dell PCs (and others): De-install SmartByte

New Poster

Slow Internet Connections, Dropped VPNs on Dell PCs (and others): De-install SmartByte

After several service calls, I finally found the root cause of my slow WiFi and Ethernet speeds on my Xfinity service.  Check your Windows applications (Windows Key plus q on Win10) and see if SmartByte has been installed. This piece of software will interfere with your connection's peak speed, drop your VPN connections and cause other issues.  You can disable it or remove it completely.    It is supposed to help prioritize applications and their demands for bandwidth, but instead just messes up everything.

It is installed on all Dell PCs and laptops by default for the last several years.  So, if you have Dell Update turned on it will REINSTALL SmartBytes, so your problems will reappear. 

I'm hopeful that the Comcast technicians can be alerted somehow. 

Official Employee

Re: Slow Internet Connections, Dropped VPNs on Dell PCs (and others): De-install SmartByte

@guragu wrote:

After several service calls, I finally found the root cause of my slow WiFi and Ethernet speeds on my Xfinity service.  Check your Windows applications (Windows Key plus q on Win10) and see if SmartByte has been installed. This piece of software will interfere with your connection's peak speed, drop your VPN connections and cause other issues.  You can disable it or remove it completely.    It is supposed to help prioritize applications and their demands for bandwidth, but instead just messes up everything.

It is installed on all Dell PCs and laptops by default for the last several years.  So, if you have Dell Update turned on it will REINSTALL SmartBytes, so your problems will reappear. 

I'm hopeful that the Comcast technicians can be alerted somehow. 

Hi @guragu

Thanks for posting to the Xfinity Forums. We appreciate you taking the time out of your busy schedule to provide us with an update and resolution to your issue. It was very nice of you to provide the steps on how to determine if the feature is enabled for others who may have the same equipment and that may also be experiencing the same thing. Please let us know if you need any help in the future. We'd be happy to help! Take care.  

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!