When I first upgraded to gigbit, I was getting the speeds expected. Recently I'm topping off at about 300Mbps. I own my equipment... a Arris Surfboard SB8200 and a Netgear XR500. I've tried swapping cables, resetting the modem, and still have the same issue. Called support and they said that they ran a check and I'm getting the speeds I should and it must be the modem. Not sure where to go now. Hardwired from the modem itself to the computer, I'm still only getting about 300M. I've tried both ports on the modem as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'd rather not resort to leasing one of their modems.
The status page of the modem looks like:
|Acquire Downstream Channel||651000000 Hz||Locked|
|DOCSIS Network Access Enabled||Allowed|
|Downstream Bonded Channels|
|Channel ID||Lock Status||Modulation||Frequency||Power||SNR/MER||Corrected||Uncorrectables|
|31||Locked||QAM256||651000000 Hz||9.0 dBmV||42.0 dB||0||0|
|1||Locked||QAM256||453000000 Hz||8.0 dBmV||42.7 dB||0||0|
|2||Locked||QAM256||459000000 Hz||7.9 dBmV||42.8 dB||0||0|
|3||Locked||QAM256||465000000 Hz||8.2 dBmV||42.8 dB||0||0|
|4||Locked||QAM256||471000000 Hz||7.7 dBmV||42.5 dB||0||0|
|5||Locked||QAM256||477000000 Hz||7.5 dBmV||42.5 dB||0||0|
|6||Locked||QAM256||483000000 Hz||7.2 dBmV||42.4 dB||0||0|
|7||Locked||QAM256||489000000 Hz||7.0 dBmV||42.1 dB||0||0|
|8||Locked||QAM256||495000000 Hz||6.6 dBmV||41.9 dB||0||0|
|9||Locked||QAM256||519000000 Hz||6.7 dBmV||42.0 dB||0||0|
|10||Locked||QAM256||525000000 Hz||6.6 dBmV||41.8 dB||0||0|
|11||Locked||QAM256||531000000 Hz||6.2 dBmV||41.5 dB||0||0|
|12||Locked||QAM256||537000000 Hz||6.1 dBmV||40.9 dB||0||0|
|13||Locked||QAM256||543000000 Hz||5.2 dBmV||40.5 dB||0||0|
|14||Locked||QAM256||549000000 Hz||4.1 dBmV||39.7 dB||0||0|
|15||Locked||QAM256||555000000 Hz||3.0 dBmV||39.4 dB||0||0|
|16||Locked||QAM256||561000000 Hz||3.8 dBmV||40.3 dB||0||0|
|17||Locked||QAM256||567000000 Hz||5.9 dBmV||41.3 dB||0||0|
|18||Locked||QAM256||573000000 Hz||7.0 dBmV||41.5 dB||0||0|
|19||Locked||QAM256||579000000 Hz||7.8 dBmV||42.1 dB||0||0|
|20||Locked||QAM256||585000000 Hz||8.4 dBmV||42.4 dB||0||0|
|21||Locked||QAM256||591000000 Hz||8.3 dBmV||42.0 dB||0||0|
|22||Locked||QAM256||597000000 Hz||8.6 dBmV||42.3 dB||0||0|
|23||Locked||QAM256||603000000 Hz||8.7 dBmV||42.3 dB||0||0|
|24||Locked||QAM256||609000000 Hz||8.6 dBmV||42.2 dB||0||0|
|25||Locked||QAM256||615000000 Hz||8.7 dBmV||41.0 dB||0||0|
|26||Locked||QAM256||621000000 Hz||8.7 dBmV||42.2 dB||0||0|
|27||Locked||QAM256||627000000 Hz||8.4 dBmV||42.0 dB||0||0|
|28||Locked||QAM256||633000000 Hz||8.6 dBmV||42.1 dB||0||0|
|29||Locked||QAM256||639000000 Hz||8.5 dBmV||42.0 dB||0||0|
|30||Locked||QAM256||645000000 Hz||8.9 dBmV||42.0 dB||0||0|
|32||Locked||Other||690000000 Hz||9.4 dBmV||31.5 dB||43972708||0|
|Upstream Bonded Channels|
|Channel||Channel ID||Lock Status||US Channel Type||Frequency||Width||Power|
|1||4||Locked||SC-QAM Upstream||36500000 Hz||6400000 Hz||44.0 dBmV|
|2||3||Locked||SC-QAM Upstream||30100000 Hz||6400000 Hz||44.0 dBmV|
|3||2||Locked||SC-QAM Upstream||23700000 Hz||6400000 Hz||45.0 dBmV|
Current System Time: Mon Jul 15 17:10:03 2019The event log shows:
Solved! Go to Solution.
Those stats look o/k. Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, what speed does a computer hardwired directly to the XR500 router with an ethernet cable get ?
As a second test, what speed does a computer hardwired directly to the 8200 cable modem (no router in the mix) get ? You'll have to power cycle the 8200 when you make the change.
No, with the modem hardwired to the computer directly, I'm only getting about 300Mbps. When connected to the router, it's the same.
RobertWy, thanks... I had been through that article before I posted. Good information, but still at a loss over the loss of speed. I also did a hard reset of the CM with the recessed button on the back in the hopes that might help (it didn't).
What speed do you get for the upload ?
Ok, I think I've got the issue narrowed down. It occured to me to try a different browser. I'm on a mid-2012 MacBookPro running 10.14.5 with 16G of RAM.
Firefox 68 (even starting the browser in safe mode) is topping at about 300M currently.
Safari 12.1.1 is seeing 700M currently.
I'm not sure what the issue is with FF (my default browser) but it seems to me like an update has changed something in regards to speed as I was getting close to gigbit speeds on it in the past (and no, it's not using a proxy or DNS over HTTPS). It's also configured to use the default performance settings.
For the halibut, try this speed test app. It doesn't go through any browser;
That is exactly what is to be expected (940 'ish down due to the inherent ethernet overhead / 40 'ish up). Looks like they are giving you what you pay for.