Community Forum

Slow Download Speeds Only On One of Two Wired PCs, Help

New Poster

Slow Download Speeds Only On One of Two Wired PCs, Help

I have the Gigabit Internet, however, my speeds don't reach anywhere close to a gig. Both me and my roommate are connected via CAT6 ethernet cables. On a speed test (from different sources) he gets stable 800mbs+ while I usually start at 300mbs and lower only to plateau around ~120mbs. We both have high-end machines with the exact same network driver (and the same settings)[Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V ver.12.18.8.4]. We have also tried switching cables and the results remain the same. Also, I really don't think my computer is infected with any malware and have scanned with various softwares to confirm.

What else could be hindering my download speeds? It's worth noting that my upload speeds are perfectly fine (exactly at 40Mbs, which is what the service provides).  Are there any settings in the modem itself that could affect only one device like this? Can Xfinity do something to troubleshoot this? All I get from technicians is that they read 900mbs on their Raspberry Pi's and there's little they can do with the background settings of the network or my computer. 

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Slow Download Speeds Only On One of Two Wired PCs, Help

@Iaro wrote:

I have the Gigabit Internet, however, my speeds don't reach anywhere close to a gig. Both me and my roommate are connected via CAT6 ethernet cables. On a speed test (from different sources) he gets stable 800mbs+ while I usually start at 300mbs and lower only to plateau around ~120mbs. We both have high-end machines with the exact same network driver (and the same settings)[Intel(R) Ethernet Connection (2) 1219-V ver.12.18.8.4]. We have also tried switching cables and the results remain the same. Also, I really don't think my computer is infected with any malware and have scanned with various softwares to confirm.

What else could be hindering my download speeds? It's worth noting that my upload speeds are perfectly fine (exactly at 40Mbs, which is what the service provides).  Are there any settings in the modem itself that could affect only one device like this? Can Xfinity do something to troubleshoot this? All I get from technicians is that they read 900mbs on their Raspberry Pi's and there's little they can do with the background settings of the network or my computer. 

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Troubleshooting-Gigabit-internet-speeds/m-p/3145413#...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!