Community Forum

Skyrocketing data usage with Disney+ and 4K streaming

Highlighted
New Poster

Skyrocketing data usage with Disney+ and 4K streaming

This week I logged in to review my data usage.  In the past I have never hit 300GB in a month.  However, since adding Disney+, my data usage has skyrocketed and is appraoching 800GB each month.  My home does not stream content all day or anything over the top.  I am wondering if Xfinity plans to increase their data cap to allow for additional 4K streaming.  It has been a few years since they increased their cap and it seems to now be necessary.  If they don't, I might have to switch to the fiber provider that just laid fiber lines in my neighborhood and encourage my neighbors to do the same.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Skyrocketing data usage with Disney+ and 4K streaming

Data caps and overages are currently waived in light of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

For the time being, you might want to take stock of how much data each device uses using tools like the Xfinity xFi app (if you're leasing a Comcast gateway) or the utility provided by your router manufacturer (if you're using your own equipment). 

You might want to take a look at this thread as well, where people have outlined various issues with high data usage and possible solutions. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the data caps being waived. Also, I know exactly which device is using all the data. My concern is what is going to happen when Xfinity no longer waves the data cap. My data usage gas not significantly increased with Covid-19. As for workarounds, why should I degrade my content in order to comply with a data cap when I can get unlimited gigabit speed data from a competitor. I think Xfinity needs to adjust their cap or they're going to lose business in markets like mine with competition.
Highlighted
Expert

@camtheham wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I am aware of the data caps being waived. Also, I know exactly which device is using all the data. My concern is what is going to happen when Xfinity no longer waves the data cap. My data usage gas not significantly increased with Covid-19.

You didn't make that clear in your initial post. 

@camtheham wrote:
As for workarounds, why should I degrade my content in order to comply with a data cap when I can get unlimited gigabit speed data from a competitor. I think Xfinity needs to adjust their cap or they're going to lose business in markets like mine with competition.

Unfortunately competition isn't a reality in the vast majority of the country, that's why  I pay an extra $10/month  for unlimited data. ($25 if you include the gateway rental). 

As far as what Comcast is going to do after the crisis is over, we would  just be speculating at this point, and not really the purpose of this subforum. which is tech support. 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!