Community Forum

Skype for Business -- constant dropouts

New Poster

Skype for Business -- constant dropouts

I work from home on a 150mb connection. I seem to get Skype for Business dropouts constantly, regardless if I connect wirelessly or wired. I have had the router replaced numerous times. According to Microsoft, you need pretty minimal bandwidth.

My experience is that I seem to get network dropouts -- like the net totally goes away -- periodically. Comcast is fairly responsive, but don't seem to investigate and solve the root cause of the problem.

If Comcast cannot fix this, my option will be to switch to AT&T (who are in the process of running fiber down my street) -- after all, I have to work for a living, and not being able to join conference calls is not an option.

Expert

Re: Skype for Business -- constant dropouts

You haven't told us what hardware you have. Would you happen to be using the XB3 Wireless Gateway / TG1682G ?  

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Yes, I have a TG1682G. It is connected to a Velop mesh, but these dropouts happen whether I use wireless or wired connection. Makes no difference at all.

If I run a loop of ping tests, about once a minute I see the pings timeout. Happens very regularly. I've shown it to Comcast field service people, and they say they will report it, and then nothing happens.

Thanks for helping me!

Expert

There was a thread a while back about that particular gateway causing havoc with VPN connections. There hasn't been any permanent resolution so far other than setting the gateway to Bridge Mode with a personal router behind it, or putting the affected device in the DMZ of the gateway. 

Is the Velop functioning as a wireless access point, or is the gateway in Bridge Mode? 

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!