Community Forum

Should I enable IPv6?

Frequent Visitor

Should I enable IPv6?

I recently purchased a Motorola MT7711 modem - I am on the Xfinity Extreme 400 Tier. I am using the modem in bridge mode with my ASUS RT-AC68U router because the router has some features that I do not want to give up.

I noticed that the modem pulls an IPv6 address, and I am wondering if I should adjust my router to use IPv6 internally on my lan. Everything is working great right now, so I am reluctant to change, but I am wondering if there is something I am missing out on. I have been reading a lot about it lately, but I don't see what tangible benefit I might gain.

Can anyone enlighten me?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Should I enable IPv6?

It's hard to say if there is any advantage with IPv6 right now, but it won't hurt to try enabling it. For reference, these are the settings I am using with my 68U:

IPv6.jpg

Expert

@vanryn wrote:

but I am wondering if there is something I am missing out on. I have been reading a lot about it lately, but I don't see what tangible benefit I might gain.

You won't be able to visit sites that are IPv6 only (not sure that there are any popular ones yet anyway). You'll only be able to visit sites that are IPv4 or dual stack.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

andyross - thanks for this.  Does your router issue local addresses in ipv6 format, or do they stay the same?

I have a couple of dedicated ip addresses (printer, home server), will I need to adjust everything to use new addresses? 

Silver Problem Solver

@vanryn wrote:

andyross - thanks for this.  Does your router issue local addresses in ipv6 format, or do they stay the same?

I have a couple of dedicated ip addresses (printer, home server), will I need to adjust everything to use new addresses? 

It may depend on whether those devices support IPv6. It's not all-or-nothing. Only my phone and computers support IPv6. The rest are IPv4 only (Roku's, TV's, Ooma, printer, etc...)

I'm still a bit fuzzy on IPv6, but my computer shows 3 addresses: The regular Internet IPv6, a 'Temporary IPv6', and a Link-local IPv6 (starts with FE80).