Community Forum

Should I buy an uninterruptible power supply for my router and modem?

Highlighted
New Poster

Should I buy an uninterruptible power supply for my router and modem?

If my neighborhood should suffer a large scale power outage, will Xfinity's network stay up and running?  Do you ever test this?

My DR plan is if the neighborhood goes down and takes the internet with it, then tether a cell phone.  There is a flaw in the plan: if EVERYBODY in the neighborhood does the same thing, then the network will be essentially useless.  However, if Xfinity's network is sufficiently resilient to where we can expect it to remain up and running, then it makes sense for me to buy a UPS for the modem and router (the computers are already on a UPS).

Do you ever test this?

Thank you

Jeff

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Should I buy an uninterruptible power supply for my router and modem?

Comcast uses commercial power, so if there’s a substantial power outage it won’t matter what kind of power backup you have, there won’t be any service to connect to. On the other hand, depending on the area, and severity of the power outage, they could employ the use of generators to keep service functioning. Really it comes down to what you think you”might” need if it ever happens

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Besides the portable generators, what about the pole-mounted battery backup units. Are they maintaining them @CCAndrew ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

, honestly I have no idea and if those might be market specific. When I worked in Missouri/Kansas everything was on the ground and fed up (nothing on poles). There were battery backups but man when big severe storms came through or expected we were out proactive with generators

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Expert

Thanks for replying ! 😊

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!