Community Forum

Setting up a wifi extender?

Regular Visitor

Setting up a wifi extender?

I'm not sure if this is where this would go but I've been trying to setup a d-link dap-1650/ac1200 dual band gigabit range extender. It doesn't seem to connect with our modem/router that is from comcast. I've tried following the different steps they give in the instructions but each one still doesn't let it connect to our router/modem? Is there anyway to connect one to the comcast router modem boxes? it doesn't show up in connected devices. Any help would be greatly appriectated! Smiley Happy 

Problem Solver

Re: Setting up a wifi extender?

I  have been successful setting up these range extenders with my Comcast Arris TG1682G and my brother's.Arris TG1682G as well.. .My brother and I have been using these TP_Link extenders now for about a year with no problems.

300Mbps Universal Wi-Fi Range Extender TL-WA850RE 

$19.99 each officemax/office depot

AC750 Wi-Fi Range Extender RE200

Price: $24.99

each Amazon.com

Diamond Problem Solver

What model number is your Comcast device ? Read some posts here indicating that some of their earlier XB1 models don't play nice with range extenders.

Regular Visitor

the router model is: TG862G. Is that one of the ones that has problems with extenders? this is the wifi extender that was purchased if it helps? http://us.dlink.com/products/access-points-range-extenders-and-bridges/wireless-ac1200-dual-band-gig...

I'm sorry I'm not really the best with tech but thank you for trying to help me Smiley Happy

Diamond Problem Solver

Yes. That is an XB1 model. Try having them swap it out for a newer and better prforming XB3 model. You may not even need an extender with it;

Here is a reference to the specific model numbers of the XB3 devices;

http://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/wireless-gateway-compare/

Good luck !

Regular Visitor

Thank you both so much! I will call them and ask if we can upgrade to a newer model, thanks again. Smiley Happy

Diamond Problem Solver
Moved:

Post removed due to a forum language filter bypass violation.

Contributor

The XB3 is great.  I can get a strong wifi signal sitting in my car in front of the house, and the gateway is on the second floor of the house.  You probably won't need to even fool with the extender.

One note of caution - these models are set up to provide an open wifi spot to everyone who passes your house or is in your house.  There is an option in the settings to turn this off.

You can call and they will ship you one, though the shipping is $20.  You might also call your local Comcast store (they have been opening store locations as an alternative to the service centers) and see if they have any in stock.

Diamond Problem Solver
New Poster

Ok, I have a problem I have been working on with and without comcast support to no avail.  I just switched over from Fios to xfinity.  I have dual band 802.11ac xfiniti router.  I have a actiontec extender (WCB3000N).  The router is moca enabled and I have mocha splitters.  Same exact wired set up as with Fios.  But the extender cannot produce internet.  Please help!

New Poster

What is a moca splitter? You just use a full bandwidth splitter that lets all mhz pass. There is a moca filter you put on the house where your cable comes in to prevent other moca enabled routers in other homes from accessing yours, but once you are inside your home you don't need to eliminate any frequencies.
Diamond Problem Solver

Year old marked "Answered" / dead thread now being closed.