Community Forum

Setting up MOCA with Xfinity

Regular Visitor

Setting up MOCA with Xfinity

I have some questions about setting up MOCA  in my mom’s house. I have not done anything as of yet. The object of this installation is to get ethernet connection capability for a laptop in the same room where there is also a cable set top box.

Here is the current setup:

5 - XG1V4-A Set top boxes

1 - CGM4140COM Gateway / Router - admin tool shows that MOCA is enabled and the specs indicate that it is MOCA version 2.0

Cable Point Of Entry (POE) has an Amphenol IPGH3m4-VF DOCSIS Passive Port Splitter - There are 4 coaxial cables plugged in here:

1 Incoming Cable = Input port

3 Output Cables = in ports H1 (low loss hybrid port , H2, & H3 (high loss hybrid ports)

(M1-M4 MOCA ports all have terminators)

Output Cables:

H1 coaxial cable goes to sunroom and splits - Antronix CMC2002H-A - 2-Way 5-1002 MHz splitter - 1 end goes to XG1V4-A in the sunroom and the other end goes to the router / gateway in the living room

H2 and H3 cables go through a vent and under the house - these two cables are used for the XG1V4-A boxes in the other 4 rooms (3 bedrooms and one in the kitchen)

MOCA Adapter

Actiontec ECB6200 - 1 pair - kit comes with 2 adapters, 2 coax cables, 2 ethernet cables, 2 power adapters and 2 Starburst SB-2WMS-2.0 5-1675MHz splitters

NOTE: The setup instructions that came with the Actiontec ECB6200 say to connect the coaxial cable from the outlet in the room to the Starburst splitter. From the splitter, one coax cable goes to the TV and the other goes to the ECB6200 Coax In.

Configuration things I don’t know yet:

1. How the H2 and H3 cables are split. I am assuming that they are each split only once but, will have to check later.
  2. What type of splitters are used on the H2 and H3 coaxial cables. Since Comcast installed the Antronix CMC2002H-A in the sun room (H1), I will assume that the same splitter types were used.

Here are my questions:

1. The cable POE should have a MOCA filter to keep to keep the signal “within my house” so to speak. Based on a video I watched about it, I believe that the Amphenol IPGH3m4-VF Port Splitter has a built in MOCA filter. Is this correct, or do I need an additional filter?

2. Do all of the splitters on the H1-H3 cables need to be MOCA 2.0?

3. Since the CGM4140COM is MOCA 2.0 compliant, I should not need to add an ECB6200 adapter to the gateway / router, correct?

4. Are there any settings that I should change on the CGM4140COM?

5. In regard to setting up  the ECB6200 in the bedroom, I don’t think I need the Starburst splitter, do I? I think I should be able to go from the coax outlet to the Coax In on the adapter, then use the TV/STB Out on the adapter to the XG1V4-A set top box. Then I can use the ethernet port on the ECB6200 for the laptop.

Here is the video I watched about the Amphenol IPGH3m4-VF DOCSIS Port Splitter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAS9CfmUbf4&feature=youtu.be

Other links I found helpful to understand MOCA and setup:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Interested-in-using-MOCA/td-p/3132775

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Internet-Archive/MoCA-2-0-setup-unstable-possibly-due-to-POE-filter/td...

https://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-set-up-a-coax-MoCA-network/

New Poster

Re: Setting up MOCA with Xfinity

This is a very well written and thought out set of questions. 

I hope it was answered. I had my own questions, and I wish some information was included here.

I hope the poster received the answer he needed, although from what it sounds I am sure that he will be capable.

- David

Expert

Personally, Unfortunately, I have had poor experience with MoCA on the CGM4140COM and have traced the issue to the gateway firmware itself where it keeps dropping MoCA connections. The only workaround I was able to find would be to use the additional ECB6200 connected by Ethernet to the XB6 and then connected by coax (using coax in) to the MoCA network with disabling the XB6 MoCA.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Expert

To answer some of your questions:

1. I’m not sure but it doesn’t hurt to have a POE filter. I have one in front of my similar device to the Amphenol.

2. The splitters need to be MoCA compliant but sometimes you might be able to get away without MoCA compliant splitters but I would recommend it.
3. Look at my prior post about MoCA experience with that gateway that is the same to this very day.
4. There aren’t really any settings to change on it in relation to MoCA.
5. I would use the splitter. I wouldn’t trust the Cable Out port too much.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!