Community Forum

Setting Up Home Wifi with TPLink Archer D7 & Comcast Tech Hung Up On Me

New Poster

Setting Up Home Wifi with TPLink Archer D7 & Comcast Tech Hung Up On Me

I have a TPLink Archer D7, which is not sold in the USA. I am trying to set this device up as my wifi router for Comcast internet service. I do not have the option to select Comcast as my ISP in the initial setup, so the connection needs to by set up manually. What are the settings I need to use for VPI, VCI and Connection Type? Please see attached screenshot.Medium_20190316_091945.jpg

I am using a Netgear CM1000 (my own device) as my cable modem. The modem is functioning properly and worked well in combination with my previous wifi router (my own device) the Netgear N600. I am currently looking to replace the N600 with a faster wifi router, which is the reason I want to install the TPLink Archer D7 (my own device).

Also, I attempted to troubleshoot this by calling comcast tech support. The rep worked with me for about 15 minutes. Eventually he realized that he wouldn't be able to resolve my issue, so he just hung up on me. Is there a way that Comcast can review my support call history, identify the representative and reprimand him? If you check the tape, you'll note that I was very pleasant and was just looking to get an answer to my issue. Not a good look Comcast.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Setting Up Home Wifi with TPLink Archer D7 & Comcast Tech Hung Up On Me

Your image is not visible, probably because you are a new poster and the pic requires moderator approval. That could take a while. If you don't want to wait you could upload the image to a file sharing site and post a link to it here. It looks like:

Medium_20190316_091945.jpg

@radar920 wrote: ... What are the settings I need to use for VPI, VCI ...

I don't think you will need them as they appear to be specific to DSL. You'll need to set the D7 to Wireless Router mode, connect the CM1000 to the D7's LAN4/WAN port, and proceed from there.

From the D7 User Guide at https://static.tp-link.com/res/down/doc/Archer_D7(UN)_V1_UG.pdf:

T6. How to use the modem router as a regular wireless router to share
my Internet ?

The modem router supports two operation modes, DSL Modem Router Mode and
Wireless Router mode. If you already have a modem or your Internet comes via an
Ethernet cable from the wall, you can set up the modem router as a regular wireless
router to share the Internet.

1. Connect your modem router’s LAN4/WAN port to the modem or the network port.
2. Visit http://tplinkmodem.net, and log in with password you set for the modem router.
3. Go to Advanced > Operation Mode page.
4. Select the Wireless Router Mode option and click Save to make the settings effective.