Community Forum

Separate SSID for 2.5 and 5 GHz

Highlighted
New Poster

Separate SSID for 2.5 and 5 GHz

Why do I need two separate SSID for 2.5 and 5 GHz frequecies. I thought most of the new laptops have both bands and they can choose what is best.

Tags (1)
Problem Solver

Re: Separate SSID for 2.5 and 5 GHz

Yes they need to be separate so you know which band you are connected too. 

Tags (1)
New Poster

Is't it new devices automatically select what is best? You can only set one SSID.Newer mobile phones follow same method. When they use wifi, automatically use best band available.

Expert

kkamdar wrote:

Is't it new devices automatically select what is best? You can only set one SSID.Newer mobile phones follow same method. When they use wifi, automatically use best band available.

Quite the opposite... you can select which Home-XXXX 2.4 or 5 connection to attach to if the newer device is capable of it....

You must designate a network to connect to and supply the proper credentials...

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I've set the name and password for 2.4 and 5 for my iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air 2.  The tech told me, to sign into both and it will use 5.0, which it does.  But when I leave my home and come back it will only use 2.4, is this true?  Sorry been in my house sick, so I haven't left to try this out yet.  Is there a way, once I leave and come back, that it will automatically use 5?

Thanks, Jerry

Expert

jerrylyons wrote:

I've set the name and password for 2.4 and 5 for my iPhone 6 plus and iPad Air 2.  The tech told me, to sign into both and it will use 5.0, which it does.  But when I leave my home and come back it will only use 2.4, is this true?  Sorry been in my house sick, so I haven't left to try this out yet.  Is there a way, once I leave and come back, that it will automatically use 5?

Thanks, Jerry

In enable to NOT auto-connect, the device must "forget" the connection.... you can see if yor devicecs give you the choice to connect to which home network, but if not ( my S4 does not ) you need to FORGET/DELETE the 2.4 and it will force the 5.0 to reconnect....     AN individuals connection rate/speeds are dependant on signal quality/strength... some find the 5 to be more robust but at a cost in distance.... 2.4 is the more reliable network.

-=Ray=-

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

Thanks!!