Community Forum

Self install online light not lit

New Poster

Self install online light not lit

I am attempting to self install and my modem in powered up but the online light is not lit up so it's not connecting.
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Self install online light not lit

Did you call comcast and have them provision the modem for service ? If not you will need to before it will work.
Silver Problem Solver

Jim721 wrote:
Did you call comcast and have them provision the modem for service ? If not you will need to before it will work.

Can't be provisioned if it's not online dude.

Bronze Problem Solver

Dude.. LOL your a funny guy.
Silver Problem Solver

So how can they provision something that can't talk to? So are you also saying they can provision a modem if it's not hooked up at all? LOL no.

Bronze Problem Solver

N/M
Problem Solver

Sbwicklein wrote:
I am attempting to self install and my modem in powered up but the online light is not lit up so it's not connecting.

Have you followed all the steps including WAIT for Comcast to flip the switch?

As I understand the way self install works, and has for me is as follows.

Unpack and set up modem, connect to cable then power unit on. NEXT contact Comcast follow tree to live service rep that will collect information from you on MAC address of modem, you will be told that they have initiated the process to activate modem from their end (provisioning) this may take a little while as the request will go to a service que.

Once the service que gets to your modem it will seek to connect to the MAC it has listed. The modem may need to update firmware and reboot before it is ready for use.

At most this delay should be 30 minutes to an hour. If the modem has not come up in that amount of time you will need to call back and repeat process, making sure that service rep is repeating back correct MAC address to you. Transposing numbers in the MAC would mean the network never did talk to your modem at all.

Always the possibility that you got a skunk modem, if the MAC is correct and it either wont respond or just keeps rebooting itself over corrupt firmware. This is least likely case, more often it is just a glitch in the MAC addy.

Silver Problem Solver

Once again, if the modem is not coming online then the issue is NOT a provisioning/activation issue. The ONLY thing provisioning does to do ANYTHING to the lights on the modem (for internet) is instruct the modem to use bonded channels (vs the non-activated state), which can cause the colors of the lights to change, indicating bonded channels. For phone, the tel 1 and/or tel 2 lights will light up after activation. Other than that, if the lights are not lighting up at all, then it's a physical connection issue. I don't know why getting the physical connection first before activating is such a difficult thing to understand.

Also activating (if it needs to download firmware) only takes about 10 minutes, not an hour. If no firmware download is needed, then even less time, about the normal amount of time it takes the modem to reset, so 60-90 seconds. Even if a rep did typo the MAC address in the system (in the case of an owned modem) the modem would still establish the physical connection, they would just not be able to activate until the error was corrected.

You guys sound like some of the outsourcers that comcast employs. All they do is send "signals" to reset the modem, meanwhile the device is completely offline and cannot communicate at all, then tell the person to wait some made up length of time, only causing unneeded frustration.

So check/bypass any connections/splitters/amps, if the modem isn't lighting up and the reps are unable to communicate with it then you may need a tech.  

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, if there aren't any hardware or RF signal / connection quality issues present, a modem will achieve block synch with the system regardless of whether or not it has yet been provisioned for service.

Problem Solver

Right the modem should show a connection but until activated by CC network wont talk to it. Like a phone line, no dial tone, no workee.

If there is no signal at all  need to verify that the cable is active. Is this a TV plus Internet account? Does the cable box function normally ie. you have your cable channels? If this is a data only connection that would take a service call unless you have a signal tester handy and know how to use it.

Ideally cable comes into house from pole/vault to a 2 way splitter. One side of splitter is for modem, other side runs to cable box for TV if present. The more junctions or splitters along the way the more signal degrades and points for failure.

Given that the signal to the house works for cable box side of connection check the cable to modem is seated and free of corrosion. If the cable is seated  and in good condition it could be a bad modem, bad jumper cable to splitter, or even a bad port on splitter. You could temporarily swap connections on the splitter and see if you now have a signal. Next would be to swap out the jumper cable used to connect modem ( they do fail time to time).

Once you have done the connection checking given a signal to the house (cable box works), it is time to swap out modem.

Good luck and let us know how you fare.

Diamond Problem Solver

There may be an old internet trap / filter on the line that may need to be removed by a tech.

The other end of the line may have been disconnected at the tap which will require a tech visit.

Silver Problem Solver

JEMRING wrote:

Right the modem should show a connection but until activated by CC network wont talk to it. Like a phone line, no dial tone, no workee.

A non-activated modem still communicates with Comcast just fine. You just can't get online and surf. There's a difference between not working and not activated.

Honestly, seems like people are over-complicating this whole topic when the problem is simple: the modem cannot establish the physical connection to the CMTS (block sync). For the 5th time now, this is not an activation issue but a physical issue.

New Poster

Same problem for me. Just moved into our first bought house last weekend. Check behind your wall plate to see if the cable is connected to the female adapter. The last owners repainted the walls and did not reconnect them. I am hoping this is a solution for you, and I understand your frustration. Was following this post the last few days and wanted to update you as soon as I found out this solution for us. God Bless