Community Forum

Self Install where previous homeowner was using DTV

Frequent Visitor

Self Install where previous homeowner was using DTV

I’m currently a new customer, the previous homeowner had DirecTV at my house which is using the only wired coax connection in the house. I think when the folks from Xfinity originally came by my house they saw a previously used ATT line outside and thought it was still active inside. I went ahead and tried adding a splitter to test it out, and just as I predicted that did not work. I'm not really sure where to go from here to get the Xfinity internet set up other than having a technician come out to the house.
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Self Install where previous homeowner was using DTV

Do you at least have a Comcast live drop anywhere at the house. If you don’t have at least that, you need a tech out

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Expert

Adding to CCAndrew, Direct TV satellite hardware / coax / splitters can't be used for the Comcast.. It's different spec equipment.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Apparently there’s none, I’ve plugged the modem into every coax connection inside and even outside the house by the utility/phone/cable demarcation, and there’s not signal from Comcast at all. I’ve called Xfinity a couple of times and they ensure that there’s a live connection at my house.
Diamond Problem Solver

Have you looked outside? It may be there just not hooked up to anything.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks for asking. Yes, I did. The underground coax cable isn’t connected to the DTV 4 splitter, but instead it’s connected to a single coax cable that goes directly to the living room close to the fireplace.
Diamond Problem Solver

Did you try hooking up anything to that fireplace outlet? Or better yet try hooking up your modem temporarily to that coax coming up to the house.

Frequent Visitor

Actually I did exactly that last night, I plugged the Xfinity modem directly into the underground coax cable that’s attached to our house, waited about 20 minutes but the 3rd light (on-line light) it never came up.
Diamond Problem Solver

Keep trying, you wouldn’t have gotten past the second light if you didn’t have a live signal

Frequent Visitor

Thanks! The 2nd light only blinks constantly. It should be steady, though.
Frequent Visitor

I took the time to walk down the street after my doctor appointment this morning, and I found a city utility pole by the curb with number 25661 on it, within a coax cable unplugged, like 2 story high in the air. Addition to that, there’s a coax cable hanging on my neighbors front yard. That could be my problem! I may need a utility truck to get to it! Any advice?
Diamond Problem Solver

You didn’t mention the second light is flashing, it needs to be solid. You need a tech out, there’s no getting around it