Community Forum

Seeing new DRW message in modem log

Contributor

Seeing new DRW message in modem log

Hello,

So I noticed recently that my Motorola MB8600 has been getting some messages in its event log having to do with Dynamic Range window violations. This is the first time I noticed that it is showing these errors since it did not do that before?

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Seeing new DRW message in modem log

Dynamic Range Window errors usually mean there is an intermittent connection between the modem and Comcast's network causing the upstream channels to vary excessively.

Please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips. If you still need help, please provide Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts.

Contributor

Alright so I have cleared the log since I last saw them and they are starting to pop up again as if the modem is starting to see connection issues to Comcast. 

Modem info: Motorola MB8600 Docsis 3.1

Modem firmware: 18.2.12

Logs:

Annotation cable 1.pngAnnotation cable 2.pngAnnotation Cable 3.png

Gold Problem Solver

The "Dynamic Range Window" and "Commanded Power Exceeds" errors both suggest an intermittent connection to Comcast's network affecting the upstream channels. The downstream signals look good. The upstream levels were high-ish when you collected these readings, and the log errors, as stated previously, mean the upstream is varying excessively.

It would probably be best to arrange a Comcast tech visit to correct this. Call them at the phone number on your bill or 1-800-Comcast, or or use one of the options on https://www.xfinity.com/support/contact-us/. If they can't fix the problem remotely, insist they send a tech out to identify the cause and correct it.

If the tech finds bad coax, splitters, amplifiers, or connections in your home (even if Comcast originally supplied them) you'll probably have to pay for the visit unless you have their Service Protection Plan (https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/service-protection-plan, closed to customers that don't already have it). If the trouble is due to a faulty Comcast rental device, or anything outside your home, you shouldn't be charged.

Official Employee

Hi Vicpdx12, if you are still needing assistance I can help schedule a technician visit for you.  Please send me a private message with your full name to begin.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Official Employee

Hello Vicpdx12, I haven't heard from you but please don't hesitate to reach back out if you still need assistance.

Thank you 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!