Community Forum

Samsung smart tv connects to wireless router but not internet

New Poster

Re: Samsung smart tv connects to wireless router but not internet

Solution,

After hours with Comcast and Samsung I finily got some solution.

Comcast modem:

admin

password (first time user)

1.Set firewall to "custom security" and from the dropdow manue chose "disable entire firewall"

2.connection - WiFi - edit

Mode: 802.11 g/n

Security mode: WPA-PSK (TKIP)

Channel Selection: Maual

Channel: 11

3.Parental control:

Managed sites: Disabled.

Managed Services: Disabled.

Managed Devices: Disabled.

Access Type: Allow all.

This should work.

Comcast and Samsung representativ, please read thus post and try to help us the consumer that paying a lot for your products and servises.

Regular Visitor

I too have a Samsung Smart Tv and was streaming movies wirelessly with my "old" comcast modem and a Lynksy wireless router.  Then, Comcast sent me a modem/wireless router (Arris TG862G) and I installed it while on the phone with a Comcast agent, and then the streaming problems began.  Finally a comcast service agent came to my house.  He first said the new modem/router was in conflict with my Lynksy router so he uninstalled the Lynksy; however, all of my devices worked properly except streaming movies....the "connected to the network but not the internet" appeared.  He worked, and worked, ended up calling his Comcast supervisor and the supervisor finally said  that if it says it is connecting to the network then that means Comcast is ok and the internet connection was my problem!!!!  I tried to explain again and again to the agent that the streaming worked fine with the old modem, but he said he couldn't do anything more. After he left I called an "expert" that I know that does not work for Comcast and he said that the dual use modems/wireless routers are not good.  He is going  to bypass the wireless portion of the Comcast modem and I will go back to using my Lynksy wireless router.  Comcast's message (while you are waiting on an agent) that says, "When quality counts you can count on us" is quite misleading!

Frequent Visitor

How would one bypass the wireless portion of the comcast modem? If possible in English,
New Poster

Finally!!! Someone figured it out! Cant thank you enough!!!

New Poster

Smiley Happy

New Poster

@Ruby75 wrote:

Solution,

After hours with Comcast and Samsung I finily got some solution.

Comcast modem:

admin

password (first time user)

1.Set firewall to "custom security" and from the dropdow manue chose "disable entire firewall"

3.Parental control:

Managed sites: Disabled.

Managed Services: Disabled.

Managed Devices: Disabled.

Access Type: Allow all.

This should work.

Comcast and Samsung representativ, please read thus post and try to help us the consumer that paying a lot for your products and servises.

Finally!!! Someone figured it out! Cant thank you enough!!!

Regular Visitor

I just received a replacement router and for the first time my smart TV and all devices are connected and working at the same time. So this was an easy solution - at least for now
Frequent Visitor

What kind of replacement router?
Regular Visitor

I rent my modem, which also handles my home office phone, from Comcast.  They sent me Technicolor Model TC8305C.  Last night all continued to work well with my Samsung Smart TV, 2 iPhones, a laptop and network printer all connected to the network.  I didn't modify any of the factory settings at all. Good luck!

Regular Visitor

After many hours with Comcast on the phone and having another technician visit the home, we FINALLY figured out to how to configure our Smart Samsung TV to get to the internet. Kudos to the tech for figuring this out. The numerous talking heads on the help line we no help. Determination by the tech is what made the difference.

The whole process was so frustrting because it looked like we could connect but the moment we ran an app, it couldn't find the internet.

I  changed the channel to be 6 rather than 11 as another poster said to fix the internet connection problem but that did not help.

The culprit is the encryption on the router. You need to go into the router information and change the encryption type to be a WPA TKIP. You will have to go into the computers to change the encryption on there as well. Apple devices didn't seem to have a problem with the encryption change and connected without changing a thing.

It was frustrating as heck because thie Smart TV had been running on Verion without problem until we switched to Comcast.

Now I have to work on getting the bill fixed because they vercharged us for the first bill.

Hope this helps other people!

Problem Solver

You didn't say which Comcast modem/router you have. Which one might make a difference.

I have a Comcast TG862G gateway. The default setting of WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES) works fine with my Samsung SmartTV. My only problem was caused by the gateway's Parental Control default settings.

In the end this only shows that there is not one thing that people have done to get their Samsung SmartTV working. All we can do is try what other people have done and see what works with our unique situation.

The only criticism I have for Comcast is that it would help if they had stickies here that would sumarize some of the problems and solutions for things like this. That would aleviate people having to ask the same question again and again like is done in threads like this.

Regular Visitor

Dear Ruby75,

Thank you so much!!!

I lost my connection to internet after rebooting the router. Your solution saved my sanity.

Frequent Visitor

YES, SOMEONE PLEASE INFORM COMCAST AS TO THE REQUIRED SETTINGS FOR THIS. iT IS TRULY SAD THAT COMCAST IS SELLING THIS EQUIPMENT FASTER THAN THE POSSIBLY CAN AND THEY DON'T KNOW HOW IT WORKS. I'VE WORKED WITH SEVERAL TECHS NOW, HAD SEVERAL TECHS OUT TO THE HOUSE AND NON OF THEM HAD ANY CLUE AS TO WHAT CONFIGURATION SETTINGS TO USE.
Frequent Visitor

OK... WANTED TO UPDATE ALL HERE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE WITH ANY SMART DEVICE NOT CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET. AS MENTIONED: -ACCESS YOUR DEVICE VIA THE 10.0.0.1 ADDRESS -LOG IN -GO TO PARENTAL CONTROLS -DISABLE MANAGED DEVICES EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK AT THIS POINT. NO OTHER CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE. WIRELESS SECURITY SHOULD BE ABLE TO REMAIN AT THE "RECOMENDED" SETTING AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISABLE ALL SECURITY BY DISABLING THE FIREWALL.
Problem Solver

-------------------------------------------------
SeanBrennan wrote:
OK... WANTED TO UPDATE ALL HERE HAVING THE SAME ISSUE WITH ANY SMART DEVICE NOT CONNECTING TO THE INTERNET. AS MENTIONED: -ACCESS YOUR DEVICE VIA THE 10.0.0.1 ADDRESS -LOG IN -GO TO PARENTAL CONTROLS -DISABLE MANAGED DEVICES EVERYTHING SHOULD WORK AT THIS POINT. NO OTHER CHANGES NEED TO BE MADE. WIRELESS SECURITY SHOULD BE ABLE TO REMAIN AT THE "RECOMENDED" SETTING AND YOU DO NOT NEED TO DISABLE ALL SECURITY BY DISABLING THE FIREWALL.
-------------------------------------------------
If you look back at my previous Message 17 on 11-04-2013 06:59 AM you will see I found the same thing. That drove me crazy until I figured it out.

People need to realize that there is not just one cause for problems like this. They need to check each one until they track down the one that solves their indivual problem.

New Poster

I just bought a new Samsung Smart TV.  Comcast is my ISP and I use their ARRIS Modem/Router.  I had the same problem.  TV would find the router but wouldn't connect to the internet.  Comcast had me call Samsung and Samsung had me call Comcast.  

After some investigation Comcast finally escalated the call to their WiFi techies who solved the problem quickly by having me change the encryption type from WPA to WPA2-FSK.  (Had to log in the router by putting 10.0.0.1 into the web address and going thru their program).  

Then I forced a restart of the TV by unplugging it, waiting 30 secs and plugging it back in.  After the TV came back on, I had to redo the internet connection and it connected to the internet just fine.  

The Comcast techie told me the basic problem is that most of the new smart TV's aren't "smart" enough to be able to figure out the encryption method used so it picks one and hopes the systems comply.

Oh well ... hope that this helps some of you.

Just a final note .. after doing this, both of my laptops lost their connection to the router.  I solved this by changing the encryption methed to FSK on them too.  A little bit of a nuisance but at least I learned something from this episode.

Regular Visitor

We recently got a new modum from Comcast:  Arris TG862.  Everything is hooked up and working wirelessly- pcs, tablets, etc.  We have a Samsung Smart TV that was working wirelessly with the previous modem/router.  Now, with the new Modum from Xfinity the Smart TV DOES connect to the network but we CANNOT access the Internet wirelessly.  Have tried multiple suggestions from many many message boards.  We finally ran a cable to see if it would work that way.  With the cable attached the Smart TV does connect to the Internet and we can once again view Netflix.  However, this isn't a practicle solution as the modem is on the second floor of our house and the Smart TV is in the basement.  The cable would have to run up 2 flights of stairs.  Any suggestions on how to access the internet wirelessly?

Thanks so much.

Expert

2 words.... Network Extender

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

Check the security section of the extended manual for your smart tv on line. You have to change the security encryption to be TKIP. See the solutions above in the forum.

New Poster

Thank you soooo much! I spent about 20 + hours on this issue and this fixed it!

Regular Visitor

Read through the entire thread. You have to change the security encryption.

Problem Solver

---------------------------------------
anders64 wrote:
Read through the entire thread. You have to change the security encryption.
---------------------------------------
You shouldn't make such a definitive statement. Sure this has worked for some people but doesn't solve everyone's problem. To really know what works you have to read through this and similar threads and find all the possible solutions. Then you have to try each one until you find one that works.

BTW, my Samsung SmartTV had the same problem but the Security Mode had nothing to do with the problem. For me the Parental Control in the Arris Gateway was causing the MAC address of my Samsung SmartTV to be blocked. Removing the block fixed the problem with my TV.

New Poster

Ruby75 I printed this out, called Comcast support and got a really nice technician that was willing to try these settings. Immediate success. He told me that working with Samsung TV's was a bit of a headache for the support people but that until now he had not had any knowledge that turning off the firewall might be the solution.  He was as nice as he could be about it.  Thanks again for taking the time to post this.  I would have returned a TV that I really like and gotten something else if I couldn't solve this, I am grateful for your help.

Contributor

For me, all I had to do was change the encryption of the security key in the router as mentioned in step 2 of Ruby's instructions:

Frequent Visitor

Thank you, Ruby75!   This problem was driving me crazy, and your solution worked like a charm!

New Poster

Thanks, Ruby75...your solution worked for me!