Community Forum

Samsung smart tv connects to wifi but not Internet

Regular Visitor

Samsung smart tv connects to wifi but not Internet

I have a Motorola Surfboard modem and a Trendnet router. My Samsung tv was connected to the Internet Sunday and now it's not. I tried changing the DNS server and that didn't work. Any other suggestions, this is very frustrating. I am not very tech savvy.
New Poster

Re: Samsung smart tv connects to wifi but not Internet

I'm having the same issue

New Poster

I am having the exact same problem.  All other devices work fine but my Samsung TV connects to wifi but not internet....just happened tonight.

New Poster

I have the exact same problem - it was fine last night, doesn't work tonight. I have a voice/data modem 

JR TC8305C and a Samsung smart TV. I've tried it with a wired connection and wifi, no luck.

Regular Visitor

I just found something that said a Samsung Smart Hub server was down. If you go to update software it corrects the problem.
New Poster

I am having the same issue, getting a notice that  "network interference ocurred, Please try again later" when trying to access netflix.  Check network access, connects the Wifi but not internet.  Worked with Samsung, they provided a firmware update but still not luck.  Anyone else have luck?

New Poster

I work for CC. It's not your Internet service that's messing up. It's Samsung. Trust me.
Expert

ATTENTION 

You may not be aware of this fact: Comcast employees must be authorized by the forum administrator in order to post in an official capacity. Employees have their names in RED and are designated as such.

If not authorized they can post here but cannot state they are employees. Nor can they allude to being employees.

You can contact the community manager here (Comcast Larry) about it;

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage/tab/compose/note-to-user-id/4671561

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Update software worked for me.

CORRECTION DIDNT WORK FOR ME.

i called Samsung and they are having server issues, they called server maintenance lol

New Poster

2 month old comcast customer.

Same issue here for Samsung blue ray player and my SONY blue ray player. 

So much for just a Samsung server.  

Both are wireless and have operated FINE for almost 2 years... on CLEAR WIRE!

So it is either a real larger DNS issue or Comcast is blocking these services.

Funny Comcast called me 2 days ago with great (not) upgrade offer to add cable to my internet only package and BAM my streaming service goes down!

Not happy.

New Poster

I think it is more of a problem than with the Samsung Smart TV. I am having the same problem with our Sony DVD player we use to access Netflix, Amazon and etc. I has worked for years then stopped working tonight. All of our computers can access the internet.

New Poster

Recent Samsung SMART TV unable to connect to internet issue [SOLVED]

All, this seems to a Samsung firmware update issue. Please dont be misguided by all the forum which talks about IP/DNS/Security settings which seemed to be aged. I resolved my latest issue by downloading the latest SW update from samsung website. Unzip and copy to an USB memory stick. Connect the USB memory stick to your TV. Change the source to TV (if in Smart hub support>update software will not work). Support > Update software> though USB. Updates the SW, All  set. if required restart the TV.

New Poster

Re: Recent Samsung SMART TV unable to connect to internet issue [SOLVED]

+1 This works! Thank you!!  

New Poster

Had you troubleshot with the other solutions online?

I've had the same issue (it worked fine for weeks..) , changed DHP, firewall, Channel, etc... and nothing has worked for me. I will try this next , but figured I woudl see if you had a similar experience before using this patch..

Frequent Visitor

Same problem here too, tried to connect to internet last night and get connection  to the Lynksys wireless router but "connection to internet failed".  All other wireless devices connect just fine, TV was connected the last time I tried it a few weks ago.

New Poster

This worked here too, thanks! But no need for me to update offline via USB.  Change the source to TV, then Menu > Support > Software Update > Online.  This connected to the Internet, downloaded the patch and rebooted the TV with successful results.

Tags (2)
New Poster

Check this other thread...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Recent-Samsung-SMART-TV-unable-to-connect-t...

This worked here, but no need for me to update offline via USB.  Change the source to TV, then Menu > Support > Software Update > Online.  This connected to the Internet, downloaded the patch and rebooted the TV with successful results.

Valued Contributor

richmstudios wrote:

Check this other thread...

http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Home-Networking-Router-WiFi/Recent-Samsung-SMART-TV-unable-to-connect-t...

This worked here, but no need for me to update offline via USB.  Change the source to TV, then Menu > Support > Software Update > Online.  This connected to the Internet, downloaded the patch and rebooted the TV with successful results.

Thanks for the posts last night.  This was a Samsung bug that was fixed late last night.  Please let me know if you're still having issues connecting.  Thanks!

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Frequent Visitor

Samsung TV won't connect to internet - wireless or LAN

Recently my Samsung "Smart" TV (UN46D7000) stopped connecting to the internet.  It would connect to the wireless router just fine but not connect to the internet.

I assumed it was a wireless issue at first and tried all of the suggestions here (parental control, changing the DNS, etc) to no avail.  I finally dragged the TV upstairs and connected it using a LAN cable - same result!  It will connect to the router but not the internet.  All the other devices in the house work fine (including a Sony DVD player with Netflix).  I have tried a factory reset on the Samsung, upgraded the firmware via USB on the TV, the result is always the same.  Connects to the router, not the internet.

Anyone??

Gold Problem Solver

richmstudios wrote: ... no need for me to update offline viaUSB.  Change the source to TV, then Menu > Support > Software Update >Online.  This connected to the Internet, downloaded the patch ...

Remarkable that you were able to correct the set's inability to connect to the Internet by having it download an update from the Internet.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Samsung TV won't connect to internet - wireless or LAN

Disregard - Just discovered that this is a global issue affecting all Samsung TVs:

http://www.myce.com/news/smart-tv-mayhem-sony-samsung-users-central-servers-go-75137/

Frequent Visitor

I mentioned this in my thread, but thought I'd post it here.  This is a global issue affecting all Samsung TVs:

http://www.myce.com/news/smart-tv-mayhem-sony-samsung-users-central-servers-go-75137/

New Poster

Thank you!  Worked like a charm!

With your permission I will copy/paste your solution with all due credit!

"All, this seems to a Samsung firmware update issue. Please dont be misguided by all the forum which talks about IP/DNS/Security settings which seemed to be aged. I resolved my latest issue by downloading the latest SW update from samsung website. Unzip and copy to an USB memory stick. Connect the USB memory stick to your TV. Change the source to TV (if in Smart hub support>update software will not work). Support > Update software> though USB. Updates the SW, All  set. if required restart the TV."

Originally posted by Vinno

Frequent Visitor

Got it fixed: DNS issue, just enter the DNS 151.80.14.237 manually in your TV's network settings, everything works fine for me and connected to the internet. Good Luck

New Poster

After spending hours with support from Samsung and Comcast with no results the below fix worked for me as well.

Got it fixed: DNS issue, just enter the DNS 151.80.14.237 manually in your TV's network settings, everything works fine for me and connected to the internet. Good Luck

New Poster

As funny as that might sound, it actually works IF you select the source as "TV" -- that's the key. I just chatted with a Samsung support guy "Percy D" who seemed to know exactly what was going on and walked me thru this. Everything is fine now.

Frequent Visitor

I like bharath_c 's fix better than  the one I posted earlier. I just reset the DNS Server to "Auto" , source to TV and did a search and my DNS server address reset back to the original (same as IP address?) and all is good. I did read earlier posts about selecting TV as sourse but was miss reading it and leaving cable box as source.  Thanks for all the posts and help.

Gold Problem Solver

Semor wrote: ... just enter the DNS 151.80.14.237 manually in your TV's network settings ...

Do you really want to tust your DNS to some unknow entity in France? I agree with http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/02/26/samsung_sony_tv_outage/ which says:

... If you're willing to trust a random stranger, and we think you shouldn't, configure your TV settings to use the DNS nameserver 151.80.14.237. ...
Frequent Visitor

BruceW - I couldn't agree more with your comments, it was a desperate atteempt to get back up and running but as you see in my last post I am no longer trusting an unknown DNS server in France. I am usnig 192.168.1.1, it is obvious I am not very network literate and corrected the setting as soon  as I found a better solution. Thanks for your post and warning for anyone that might have tried what I did.

Regular Visitor

Hi All,

Background: My problem was that my Samsung Smart TV would connect to the router but no "internet access."

I strung an ethernet able across the living room to the TV. Let the TV connect in a "wired" mode and install updates. I then removed the ethernet cable and tried the WiFi again. WiFi connected. So far so good. 

THANK YOU ALL! 

Joel