Community Forum

Samsung Smart TV, Netflix Issues, and Dual Band Router

Contributor

Samsung Smart TV, Netflix Issues, and Dual Band Router

I have noticed issues with Smart TVs. I had trouble with ours till we got the Cisco router from Comcast. With the dual band Cisco, have you found that 2.4Ghz works, but 5 does not, especially on the Samsung Smart TV models? Our trouble may also have been due to the distance of the Smart TV from the modem. I understand that 2.4 can travel and bend a little better, even though 5 is normally preferable when a device will find/support both.

Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Samsung Smart TV, Netflix Issues, and Dual Band Router

Hello again!

Let me share a similar experience.

I have three smart TV's in my home. The two I use the most are a TCL/Roku TV and Samsung. The TCL is able to pick up both channels, and I've never seen it run into any issues with either channel (however, I do keep it connected to the 5Ghz since I stream shows). However, the samsung TV (only about a year old) will not see the 5ghz channel. I've never seen the Samsung lose a connection, but I do know that sometimes my streaming service is slightly interrupted when I am watching movies/shows during prime hours (5PM -9PM).

For most customers, streaming on the 2.4 channel is going to have mixed results depending on location, time and other factors.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark it as an accepted solution!solution Icon
Community Icon
I am an Retired Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit.
Community Icon
Retired Comcast Employee.
Please post so people with similar questions may benefit.
Was your question answered?
Mark it as a solution!solution Icon

Bronze Problem Solver

5 ghz usually has less congestion on the channels but as you state has shorter range than 2.4 ghz.  

I have a Samsung Smart TV on 2.4 ghz thru an Asus router and it it streams smoothly without issues.  So 2.4 ghz can work ok. Also not very far from router maybe 20 feet.   

Not all of the Samsung Smart TVs have 5 ghz band capability as well

Contributor

Hello!

Our Samsung Smart TV was finding both the 2.4 and the 5. However, when we tried the 5, Netflix and Hulu kept going out. After switching it to 2.4, it worked fine, and the tv is quite far away from the modem, on a different floor of the house. I have not tried the 5 again, since ComcastJesse provisioned our modem correctly. Do you think it would make a difference in regard to the tv?

Bronze Problem Solver

It very well could have helped, but distance is going to be your challenge. It won't hurt to see if the 5ghz channel is better now though.

Community Icon
I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee, and I no longer actively support the forum.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: Product, Support, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Community Icon
Community Icon

Contributor

Okay--I am connected to 5 on the Smart TV now and it is working, right now. I will let you know if it "holds." I am thinking it very well may, since, in the same room, my Ipad is working great, with 127Mbps speeds! That is 127Mbps on a wireless connection, on another floor, and across the house (I am still amazed). 

Bronze Problem Solver

Awesome! Glad ot hear everything is working well.

Please let me know if you run into any bumps along the way. I'm always here to help.

Thanks!

Community Icon

Community Icon
Community Icon