Community Forum

SOLUTION - Arris modem/router dropping/connectivity issues

New Poster

SOLUTION - Arris modem/router dropping/connectivity issues

THE INCREDIBLY AGGRAVATING ISSUE - #1

Like everyone else, I was having constant service drops/drags/freezes courtesy of my shiny new Arris TG682 modem/router. I finally hit the jackpot on only my third call to tech support (and numerous hours of unsuccessful and increasingly pottymouthed DIY attempts): an honest-to-goodness competent service professional.

THE REAL PROBLEM

Apparently, the default security setting (actually labeled as recommeneded) on these puppies includes both the old-school WPA & TKIP security protocols, as well as the current WPA2/AES protocols. Covering all your bases is wise on the diamond, but here it just crashes your connection (especially whenever you try to log in anywhere); also, my online research indicates that having WPA/TKIP enabled is actually a pretty serious security risk.

So why is WPA/TKIP included in the recommended setting? Well, I have an answer, but it's quite long, somewhat technical and indescribably obscene...buy me a drink or two, and you'll get to hear it in all it's profane glory.

THE ACTUALLY WORKING SOLUTION

1) Access your router's controls via http://192.168.100.1 or http://10.0.0.1.

2) Cleverly, the username : admin and password : password. No, really.

Btw, if your connection is simply too miserable to log in with your computer (like mine was), do what I did and use your smartphone (or another device) to access your account via WIFi.

3) Go to GATEWAY/Connection and click on the Edit button next to your Private Wi-Fi Network (or, after you've logged in, just go to the direct link - http://192.168.100.1/wireless_network_configuration_edit.php).

4) Change 'Security Mode' from the last choice - 'WPA/WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES)(Recommended)' - to the 3rd choice from the bottom: 'WPA2-PSK (AES)'.

While you're there, you'll probably want to change your SSID and Password to something a bit clever and/or memorable...or at least better than the HOME-1234 and the hexadecimal string that it came with, for Pete's sake.

When you're done, click 'Save Settings' on the bottom and log out.

5)  After waiting a couple of minutes for the new info to fully propogate to your modem/router, find the network on your new PC, designate it as the one you want to connect to automatically, and input your new password. Note: don't press the reset button on the router, that will just restore it to its default settings.

6) If this helped, please let me know; lavish praise is not mandatory, but quite acceptable. If further assistance is called for, post a reply and hopefully I or someone else will be able to help.

Cheers!

P.S. Connection has been great ever since with almost everything, but we're still lagging with one of my son's online games...stay tuned Smiley Happy

Problem Solver

Re: SOLUTION - Arris modem/router dropping/connectivity issues

Hmm Very clever solution hopefully morer people will see this thread..

As for your Lag in games it is probally a Port Forwarde issue.. Most online games you need to forward ports to get it working properly?? Which game and device are you using??

Problem Solver

I have preached your solution before and was looked down upon by the so-called experts on this forum.  Lower that security baby if you want your stuff to work with your new gateway!  Thanks for posting this!

Gold Problem Solver

Carl355983 wrote: ... Lower that security baby if you want your stuff to work with your new gateway! ...

TygerEyez's suggestion doesn't lower security, it raises security.

Problem Solver

His suggestion changes/lowers the security from the recommended in the pull down menu in the gateways set up page.  Do you have/have had an 862 BruceW?  I have had an 862 and I know exactly what the OP is talking about.

Diamond Problem Solver

FWIW, the AES protocol is stronger than using TKIP.

Gold Problem Solver

Carl355983 wrote: His suggestion changes/lowers the security from the recommended in the pull down menu in the gateways set up page.  ...

If the diagram on your car's shifter showed that 4th gear was located "below" 1rst gear, would you describe 4th gear as being "lower than" 1rst?

IMHO "lower" and "higher", when referring to security levels, should refer to the strength of the security, not where that level happens to be located in a particular UI.

New Poster

Thanks, but just so that we're all on the same page here, I believe my suggestion both addresses the connectivity issue and improves security.

After two decades of conducting Internet research at the professional level, I feel confident about the accuracy of my determination, but by all means - don't take my word for it. Indeed, for those here expressing a conclusion contrary to my own, presumably for lack of experience in the art of obtaining the requisite facts prior to forming opinions, here's an excellent research starting point for just such an inquiry: http://www.lmgtfy.com

Sorry, but it's Snark Wednesday...and tell me, where are we heading to as a civilization if we can't keep even our most recent traditions alive? :-D

Moving right along: while the security protocol fix cleared up a lot of the problem, intermittent connectivity issues cropped up again afterwards, though thankfully not nearly to the extent originally contended with.

Diagnostics determined that the problem was DNS related, so I started off with the easiest fix to try: clearing the DNS resolver cache. Thus far, connection has only dropped a couple of time, and repeating the process re-established the connection immediately in each instance.

For those unfamiliar with the process:

1) Open a command line interface. A few options for accessing this (based on Windows 8) are: a) Win+R, then type 'cmd' and hit Enter; b) Win+X, click on Command Prompt; c) access the shortcut menu by placing your mouse pointer in the top right corner of your screen, click on Search, then type 'cmd' and hit Enter.

2) At the prompt, type 'ipconfig /flushdns' and hit Enter. It should immediately advise you that the the DNS resolve cache was flushed. If it doesn't, do it again and make sure you typed it in right this time (including the space between the two words).

Hope this helps...all the best.

Gold Problem Solver

TygerEyez wrote: ... intermittent connectivity issues cropped up again afterwards ...

Are you able to determine if it's the Wifi that's dropping, or if you're losing your connection to Comcast? If you haven't already, please see Connection Troubleshooting Tips and Information Requested for Connection-Related Posts.

Problem Solver

The recommended setting is TKIP/AES (bottom choice in the pull down list). So, if you change the setting to just AES this choice would be above TKIP/AES on the pull down list. If you read from the top down it would seem AES would be the lesser setting even though AES is stronger than TKIP. Either way you look at it just AES is the better choice.
New Poster

Cache flushing not doing it; connection keeps dropping again. Optimism dashed by xFinity for the very last time.

Despite my discovery that Comcast has been well aware for years now that the Arris TG862G modem/router is plagued with DNS resolution firmware defects, they leased this piece of garbage to me for $10 a month, allowed me to waste my time and efforts for weeks trying to work around their mess, and their best offer is for me to come in and pick up a new one...same Batmodel, same Batcrap.Oh, and it turns out that they've compromised my security by turning my modem/router into a neighborhood hotspot (go check your WiFi list for xfinitywifi) and prevented its removal.

After years of dealing with their apparently systemic incompetence and malfeasance, my discoveries, wasted time and frustration over the past few weeks have served as the proverbial final straw; I have come to the conclusion that unlike AES, Comcast is only the better choice when it comes to choosing future class action defendants.

And so, if my new x, Ms. Finity, comes by here asking for me, you can tell her I just moved in with down the street with that hot Uverse chick; that she has only herself to blame; and that she was right, after all...I've been faking it for ages now.

Adios, muchachos...vaya con Dios. Or FIOS, as the case may be ;-)

New Poster

By chance is there another username/password combo? I tried admin/password and that didn't work.

Thanks.

New Poster

Just wanted to let you know that your fix is still 100 by 100.
Thanks for looking out for us!