SBG6580 Bridge Mode

New Poster

SBG6580 Bridge Mode

Hi, 

I have an SBG6580 with Arris firmware.

Standard Specification Compliant DOCSIS 3.0
Hardware Version 2
Software Version SBG6580-8.9.0.1-GA-00-092-NOSH

I am trying to use bridged mode because I have a separate WAP setup and my own firewall/router, etc. device in the form of a pfsense box.  I have tried changing a number of settings, but the main issue seems to be that despite indicating it is in bridge mode, the modem still grabs an IP address. 

I previously used DSL service and had no problems bridging various modems over the years. I know that cable is a little different. Do I need to contact someone and have bridge mode permitted on my account? The modem also seems to lock the 802.11b radio on, I can disable the wireless network elsewhere though.  It seems like the config that the gateway pulls down from the head end locks some things. 

I got this device used from a friend so if it's just a matter of it being a POS, I can take that answer. If that is the case what basic, modem only, brigeale device should I get?

Expert

Re: SBG6580 Bridge Mode

@ejbcomp wrote:

but the main issue seems to be that despite indicating it is in bridge mode, the modem still grabs an IP address.

Do you mean a WAN / public IP addy by that or that it still hands out LAN private IP addys to the DHCP clients ?

Do I need to contact someone and have bridge mode permitted on my account?

It's not a Comcast supplied gateway device so no, everything is configured locally by the end user through th user interface.

The modem also seems to lock the 802.11b radio on, I can disable the wireless network elsewhere though.  It seems like the config that the gateway pulls down from the head end locks some things

Not possible from the ISP.  This is also local.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

@EG wrote:

@ejbcomp wrote:

but the main issue seems to be that despite indicating it is in bridge mode, the modem still grabs an IP address.

Do you mean a WAN / public IP addy by that or that it still hands out LAN private IP addys to the DHCP clients ?

Yes. It still leases a WAN IP. 

Do I need to contact someone and have bridge mode permitted on my account?

It's not a Comcast supplied gateway device so no, everything is configured locally by the end user through th user interface.

The modem also seems to lock the 802.11b radio on, I can disable the wireless network elsewhere though.  It seems like the config that the gateway pulls down from the head end locks some things

Not possible from the ISP.  This is also local.

Do I need to have the MAC address of my firewall WAN port authorized?  

Expert

What is the exact make and model number of it ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!