Community Forum

SB8200 Ports

Frequent Visitor

SB8200 Ports

Just unwrapped and installed an Arris SB8200 modem. Bought it because it has 2 ethernet ports. On port 1, I plugged in my Eeros mesh wireless. After some fiddling around, works fine.

Problem: Can't get anything out of port 2. Spent all morning on the phone with Comcast. Plugged a laptop into port 2, nothing.

Called Arris: They tell me that the modem needs to be provisioned, and a second IP address issued to operate port 2.

Called Comcast back: They tell me thats ludicrous. 

I've spent all day with this. Presently I'm without my voip phone, and my monitored alarm system till I get this solved.

Is anyone on here familiar with this problem, and can you assist me in solving it? PLEEZE?  Thanks in advance!!

Expert

Re: SB8200 Ports

The second gigabit ethernet port is indeed currently disabled in the firmware from the ISP. There are some local systems where additional IP's can be *purchased* but that second gigabit port is meant for port aggregation with the first port to allow for future *greater than gigabit* speeds to be obtained so I'm not certain that it could even be used to yield a second IP address. Just use a home networking router connected to the 8200 modem.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Well that sounds like a reasonable explanation. Guess I purchased the 8200 for the wrong reason. Would you suggest a good home networking router to use with this?

Thanks EG.

Expert

I prefer not to recommend specific models but here is an excellent site for researching / comparing routers;

https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/tools/charts/router/view

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Thank you kindly EG.

Expert

My pleasure ! Happy surfing !

Silver Problem Solver

JamesV1 wrote:

Well that sounds like a reasonable explanation. Guess I purchased the 8200 for the wrong reason. Would you suggest a good home networking router to use with this?

Thanks EG.

Would it be possible to use a gigabit switch with the 8200?  That way, I could connect ALL my ethernet devices to that 8200 ethernet port.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

EG states that you need a router. I tried a switch, would not work. Am going to try the router approach later today and see if that works.

Expert

RobertWy wrote:
Would it be possible to use a gigabit switch with the 8200?  That way, I could connect ALL my ethernet devices to that 8200 ethernet port.

Only if your area offers it and you pay for additional public / WAN ip addresses from them. A residential connection gets only 1 public IP address assignment.

Suggest that you read up on how NAT translation works;

https://www.google.com/search?q=nat+translation&oq=nat+translation&aqs=chrome..69i57j0l5.9712j0j4&so...

Authorized Vendor

JamesV1 wrote:

Problem: Can't get anything out of port 2. Spent all morning on the phone with Comcast. Plugged a laptop into port 2, nothing.

Called Arris: They tell me that the modem needs to be provisioned, and a second IP address issued to operate port 2.

Called Comcast back: They tell me thats ludicrous.

I have been working with the ARRIS call center to make sure this doesnt happen in the future for other customers..  The answer should have been like EG stated..  If you have multi-ip enabled on your account you can use both interfaces but if you dont at this time only one will be used..  This is what I have on my personal account in my house, I have the house prduction network connected to port 1 and my lab in the house on port 2..

Oh and both ports are enabled when you connected your laptop and it wasnt getting an IP is because the Comcast network (CMTS) sees your only allowed 1 IP and you already have that..

Also EG is correct about this "second gigabit port is meant for port aggregation"  that should be coming soon..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

That s%^&ks,

I was going to purchase the sb8200 because of the 2nd port. 1 to my router and the second to the Xfinity Home security router to eliminate

a bottleneck. Now I see there is no reason to go with the Arris.

Thanks for the clarification.

Authorized Vendor

rphill01 wrote:

That s%^&ks,

I was going to purchase the sb8200 because of the 2nd port. 1 to my router and the second to the Xfinity Home security router to eliminate

a bottleneck. Now I see there is no reason to go with the Arris.

Thanks for the clarification.

That is a really good use case for the second port I will bring it up to some people..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

Excellent, I'll am looking forward to a positive update.

Expert

You would need them to assign you a second WAN / public IP address for that. If your particular local area even offers that (some don't), there would be an additional charge for another IP address.

New Poster

For everyone who has been misguided by the Arris SB8200 ethernet ports 1 and 2. You must purchase 2 IP from the ISP in order to use both interfaces. They can not be used as redunancy or at the same time with one IP address. I just got off the phone with Comcast and Arris over this as the Arris documentation did not state the purpose and requirements of these ports. I have create a case for them to update thier User Guide to ensure users are fully aware of this modem's funtionality.

I will update this thread upon how Arris responds, and wheather they are a good manufacturer to buy products from. I will definitley broadcast to other forums where I see the same discrepancy of advertisement.

Expert

That fact has already been established in this thread.. 8 month old, marked "answered", dead thread now being closed.