Community Forum

SB8200 Modem.

Frequent Visitor

SB8200 Modem.

I just upgraded from an SB6190 to an SB8200, but with the SB8200 there is no access to the modem's status etc. webpages, the connections just timeout (tested on mulltiple browsers in multiple operating systems).  It does not seem like my system is blocking traffic as I can access the Spectrum Analyser on the same address (192.168.100.1) at port 8080 with no problem.  Is this a common problem with an easy way to fix it ?  I have rebooted both the modem and the router to no effect.

Thanks

Expert

Re: SB8200 Modem.

Have you tried hard resetting the device to factory defaults by pressing and holding in the recessed reset button on the rear for 30 seconds ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

It is exactly the same after the complete reset (and long restart wait !).  The browsers

respond with :-

"The operation timed out when attempting to contact 192.168.100.1"

It still connects at port 8080 with no problem.

If I try to access it though a non-standard port, say 81, then the response is :-

"The connection was refused when attempting to contact 192.168.100.1:81"

For standard http(s) ports 80 and 443 I get the timeout.  The firmware appears to

be screwy !

Expert

wrote:
For standard http(s) ports 80 and 443 I get the timeout.

Are you saying that you are trying to use a secure HTTPS connection ? If so, use HTTP.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

The primary connection, that worked perfectly with the SB6190, is http.  When that didn't work

I experimented with https and the varying ports, just for fun !  Nothing works to get to the

status webpages, but the modem is working perfectly (as far as I can tell without access to

the status) :-(

Expert

O/k so I don't know exactly what the problem is, sorry, but I do know that HTTPS will never work.

Gold Problem Solver

@gusr19a wrote: ... with the SB8200 there is no access to the modem's status etc. webpages ...

https://www.dslreports.com/forum/r31459521- describes what sounds like the same problem. What LAN network (x.y.z.*) address are you using? The poster on DSLR claims that, for instance, a 192.168.1.x LAN net address works, but 192.168.2.x does not.

Frequent Visitor

Yes, I had found that and tried both 192.168.1.x and 192.168.100.x (x not equal to 1 !) to no

avail, the modem still refuses to connect :-(  The modem can identify the browser, as if I

try to get to Spectrum Analyser with Seamonkey it tells me that it is not supported.  Very

strange.  If I connect the PC direct to the modem I can access the status webpages when

the PC is on its normal IP address (not on the modem's subnet), but that is not exactly a

practical solution and was not  necessary with any of my previous Arris/Motorola modems

(and there have been a few !) !

Contributor

I too just upgraded from an SB6190 to the SB8200 and 192.168.100.1 works for me.  I connected directly from my computer to the router (bypassing the modem) for router setup.  

Frequent Visitor

I suspect that there is a communciation problem between the modem and my router.  When

I made the direct connection an error did flash up (unfortunately I didn't write it down), but the

pages still loaded.  If the router sees that error it might decide to not pass data with an error.

I don't think the coding by Arris is that great, on the SB6190 the "Events" webpage did not

work in some browsers, you got to see the code that was supposed to generate the page !

All the other pages were OK, and that one was OK until the latest firmware revision came out !

For now I give up, thanks for all the suggestions :-)

Expert

I used an SB8200 for nearly a year, never had an issue logging onto the status page at http://192.168.100.1 .

Unlike some other brands, you're not even required to log in to see it. 

I'm thinking a cache flush of your browser or DNS cache flush might deal with it. 

Frequent Visitor

Ciao,

The browser caches have been flushed multiple times and as the address is a "private"/unroutable

dot-numeric one DNS should not be involved :-(  The network does get to the modem, as proved

by the access to the Spectrum Analyser on the same IP address.

Thanks, as I said I am giving up for now.  Maybe the modem and/or router will receive new firmware

that corrects the problem at some time in the future.

Contributor

I am having this problem as well. My router's LAN subnet is 192.168.0.0/24 .

If I change it to 192.168.1.0/24, I can access the cable modem's admin page.

In either I case, I can ping the modem at 192.168.100.1, and access the spectrum analyzer at http://192.168.100.1:8080 .

This doesn't make any sense. Is any sort of fix forthcoming from Arris ?

Frequent Visitor

The problem remains here.  It looks like the internal webserver has some incorrect setting and it is probably not too hard to correct as port 8080 already works, BUT Arris will only do it if they get pressure from their customers, the ISPs.  As this does not directly affect them the ISPs they are probably not overconcerned about it, and it will only get fixed if Arris throws it in with some other update the ISPs want ?  I had tried a direct connection from a PC to the modem and it worked for only for a short time before the modem again refused traffic :-(  During that time I saw that the modem had recorded a massive number of "Events", but the connection died before I could analyse them (maybe that's why the server isn't working ?) :-(  Nevertheless the modem does work very well, you just can't see it doing it !!!

Contributor

I have a router that allows me to login to it (Ubiquiti Unified Security Gateway). I tried to telnet to port 80, and got a connection timeout. This was after rebooting both the modem and the router.

After changing subnet, it works. I have seen the behavior with other routers where access to the admin page is lost after some time, also. Something is very wrong with the SB200. I don't believe it's a router problem. I have also seen the issue intermittently with different configs with Netgear Orbi and Netgear R7000. I think this one is on Arris to fix ...

I had major line problems at some point over a year ago and really needed to see the admin page to see the signal stats. It took 6 months and 2 changes of modems until Comcast finally fixed the cable line. And I had settled on the SB8200 ... Sigh.

New Poster

i have a sb8200  and i had to send 3 back they had no firmware but would still work  somehow,  so tech there was no page to log into the 192,x,x,x  w/e  was not there and you could not do status and what not.   3rd try  i gave up i still have no log in area any ip any port  but it works prefectly for internet something with the firmware in this type of model seems bad   if ya ever get it working  hmu.

Official Employee

Hi everyone. Have any of you contacted the manufacturer of the equipment to report this?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

I haven't.  As I noted before, I don't think Arris will take any notice of us mere end users complaining about a modem feature that is supposed to be for the ISP technicians to use, not us.  If they heard about it from the target "audience", Comcast for example, they might take more notice for some future firmware release !

Frequent Visitor

OK, today, as is my habit, I attempted to connect to the modem.  This time the browser connected to the "Status" page ... WOW! ... So I tried for "Events", that too worked showing lots of messages back to the CMTS (none said error)... WOW again !  I tried for the page with the hardware/software information ... NO GO :-(  After that I was no longer able to connect back to the other webpages :-(  So it can work, but not very often and not for very long :-(  This brief window of operation is exactly what I got when I connected the PC direct to the modem a while back.

New Poster

this is apprently normal for this modem i and 100's of other ppl are having the same issue actually most of us cannot even get into the "config" area  as the ip address of 192.162.1.1  or whatever they say it is does not work at all   you actually need to type in the url bar this

https://192.168.1.1:80
https://192.168.1.1:8080

(change the 192.168.1.1 to whatever your manual says some are 100.1 or 1.100  you can also check via the ipconfig command

in windows 7/10  type run cmd on the start bar  the type  ipconfig  < this will list your local ip of that modem if you are plugged into it.  furthermore even if your internet works dont be shocked if you cannot ping your modem  by typing  "ping 192.168.1.1"  even if you are plugged into it and only it most ppl get no reply yet can still surf the internet  and yes i realize that  makes no sense.

frankly i have 0 clue and there is no documentation on it what so ever,  also dont bother calling "support" they dont know jack about there own product spent 3 hrs talking to there "best" guy and he didnt even know how to ping or cmd or what i was talking about at all.   long of it short  modem seems to work fine but has no real "gui" or even a user interface what so ever its like the bios is broken.

wish i could tell you other wise,  i suggest a really good router that way you cant really be flooded or hacked (and pls dont listen to comcast saying  they block port 1080 for "viruses and hackers" )  this does NOTHING to help you outside stop a normal socks5 connection (some people use this to illegally torrent) its the real reason they blocked it tho i dont see why cuz its easyly bypassed by just chaning port numbers the socks is on. buuut thats comcast for ya.

good luck man.

Official Employee

Hello everyone!

As this is a 3rd party equipment issue we advise reaching out to the equipment manufacturer to report these issues for further assistance.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.