Community Forum

SB8200 Modem Stopped Connecting

Regular Visitor

SB8200 Modem Stopped Connecting

Hoping someone can help with this issue.

I installed a SB8200 modem back in August 2017.  It has been working fine until recently.  Now it will not connect at all.  A Comcast tech came out today and said everything up to the modem looks good (signal level wise).  I do not have access to the modem right now to post logs or the status page.  I am wondering if just describing what the four led lights are doing will lead to somewhere.  Here is what the lights do...

POWER - on and solid

RECEIVE - blinks green for a bit then turns solid green (I believe this normally turns blue)

SEND - blinks green for a bit then turns solid green

ONLINE - flashing and never turns solid

The lights just continuosly repeat the sequence above.

The Arris online troubleshooting page says a flashing ONLINE light says IP registration is unsuccessful.  I am guessing that is because the modem is never connecting.

Expert

Re: SB8200 Modem Stopped Connecting

Hi @jictak

First, check if there is an outage in your area.

Otherwise, you'll prob need a tech to figure out what's happening. 

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Official Employee

Hello jictak. I can assist with further troubleshooting your modem connectivity issue. Please reach out to me via private message and include your full name and account primary phone number so I can assist you. 

Regular Visitor

Just to update this thread... I still cannot get the SB8200 to work. Had a Comcast tech come out and tell me something is wrong with my modem. The tech watched what my modem did, unplugged my modem, plugged in a line tester, said the levels looked good, went to get a Comcast modem, plugged that in, of course the Comcast locked and worked. The tech said I would need to use the Comcast modem or go get a new modem. I am currently using the Comcast modem and my modem was unprovisioned. The tech also said in the past week or so there have been quite a few customer owned modems elsewhere in the area that have stopped working. Really frustrating. Not sure what I am going to try next.

Highlighted
Expert

If you bought that SB8200 retail, note that Arris has a two year warranty for their modems. I suggest you give their technical support a call.

Comcast Experts are other customers who volunteer their time helping on the forum and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
Unless so specifically stated, my opinions written herein are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views of Comcast, its official employees or affiliates.
Regular Visitor

I contacted Arris through online chat. Arris wanted me to hold the factory reset button for 30 seconds and try the provision with Comcast again. I tried that last night and it still failed. So now I have an Arris RMA and will be going through their replacement process for a week or so.