Community Forum

SB6190 not locked to all 32 downstream channels (Missing one channel)

Frequent Visitor

SB6190 not locked to all 32 downstream channels (Missing one channel)

Hi,

I am from Folsom, CA (95630) area.  And I have Arris SB6190 which has the capability of 32 downstream channel & 8 Upstream channels.  But when I look into the Modem status page, it is locked only to 31 channels.  The last channel 32 is NOT getting locked and I don't see any information about this channel is Modem status page.

As per DSLReports forum (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r30738553-), my area is already capable of 32 downstream channels.

Attached is my screenshot captured from my modem status page:

Arris_SB6190_Folsom_CA.JPGSB6190 Status page

Can anyone share their thoughts, why the last channel 32nd is not locked?  Or anyone else in this area is facing this issue?

Expert

Re: SB6190 not locked to all 32 downstream channels (Missing one channel)

If you are getting the speeds that you are paying for, I wouldn't sweat it. It is likely that your local system (CMTS) is now using that 32nd. channel as their DOCSIS 3.1 / OFDM downstream channel to support the gigabit speed tier. Your modem is DOCSIS 3.0 only so it wouldn't be able to see it.

BTW, can't see your pic. It likely needs to be approved by a Forum Admin. You could try hosting it at one of those free third-party pic hosting sites and post the link to it here.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Hi EG,

Thank your for quick response.  Here is the link for my Modem status page snapshot https://cdn.pbrd.co/images/HJeajpz.jpg

To add more meat to my issue:

I contacted Comcast support, due to high Uncorrectables and the technician came to my house and found noise in the line from outside of my house.  But still after fixing the noise, I still see lot of uncorrectables and I call Arris Customer service.  Then Arris found that 32nd channel is locked and they asked me to confirm with Comcast why the 32nd channel is not locked.  But Comcast is saying there is nothing wrong from their side.

So now I am not sure, whom to blame for the uncorrectables.

Expert

FWIW, the stats that you posted from that snapshot in time were o/k. As asked, are you having a problem with your actual speeds, or connectivity problems ?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Frequent Visitor

Hi EG,

After Comcast corrected my "Uncorrectables" I started to see huge latency issue when I run DSLReport Puma6 test with the Arris SB6190 (Running FW 9.1.103AA45, which have the latency issue resolved).  And I showed the Puma6 LIVE results to comcast technician and he asked me to try the Comcast Test Modem "TG862G" for 1 week time period.  And even with this test modem the PUMA6 test results show excessive red and I shared the same with Comcast technician.  Please have a review of the PUMA6 report from this snapshots:

Arris SB6190: https://ibin.co/4Jlt17AnAbXG.jpg

TG862G: https://ibin.co/4Jlw34Op7WIC.jpg

(All the above tests are average of 10 - 15 iterations on multiple times in the days)

So with this above result, I called Arris and they asked me to get the 32nd channel correct with Comcast before they proceed further with debug and analysis.

Any help / suggestions would help at this stage for me.  Thanks.

Expert

I really havent heard of personally the issue being fixed with latecy on Puma 6. I would also like to point out that post is from 2 years ago, as things can change over the course of 2 years. As @EG stated, it is very likely they moved that 32nd channel from being a D3.0 channel to a D3.1 OFDM channel to make only 31 total DS channels under D3.0

Expert

@sivaprasath wrote:

Hi EG,

After Comcast corrected my "Uncorrectables" I started to see huge latency issue when I run DSLReport Puma6 test with the Arris SB6190 (Running FW 9.1.103AA45, which have the latency issue resolved)

It is unknown to me whether that has yet been truly "resolved".

Expert

@EG wrote:

@sivaprasath wrote:

Hi EG,

After Comcast corrected my "Uncorrectables" I started to see huge latency issue when I run DSLReport Puma6 test with the Arris SB6190 (Running FW 9.1.103AA45, which have the latency issue resolved)

It is unknown to me whether that has yet been truly "resolved".

Exactly - if the modem still flunks the Puma6 test, it's obviously not resolved.

Not to mention the DDoS vulnerability, which hasn't been addressed at all. 

Edited to add: The TG862G has a Texas Instruments chipset, which became known as the Puma 5 after Intel acquired the technology. 

Frequent Visitor

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your replies. I made a typo with the model of Comcast Test Modem. For the 1 week, comcast technician gave me "Arris TG1682G" (https://secure.xfinity.com/anon.comcastonline2/support/help/faqs/wireless_gateway/HOW5220_Wireless_G...)

With the above modem also I faced the latency issues while running "Puma6" test (PUMA 6 Test: https://ibin.co/4Jlw34Op7WIC.jpg).  Is the above modem from Comcast (TG1682G) also suffer the latency issue with PUMA6 test?

Expert

The TG1682G has the Puma 6 chipset.

Frequent Visitor

Thanks everyone for the wonderful input.  It is confirmed that I tried using PUMA6 modems, which is the cause of the latency issue. 

I will go ahead and purchase Arris SB8200 (which is using broadcom chipset) and see if I can get this latency issue fixed.

Expert

@sivaprasath wrote:

I will go ahead and purchase Arris SB8200 (which is using broadcom chipset) and see if I can get this latency issue fixed.

That's the same modem I currently use, it's been excellent and stable - 65 days running without a hitch. 

Expert

@sivaprasath wrote:

Thanks everyone for the wonderful input.  It is confirmed that I tried using PUMA6 modems, which is the cause of the latency issue. 

Good luck ! Please post back with how things turn out.