Community Forum

SB6190 Puma 6 Chip defect - Firmware fix?

Regular Visitor

SB6190 Puma 6 Chip defect - Firmware fix?

Is there any news on Intel's promised firmware fix for their Puma 6 chip issues on this modem?  (Latest I could find was from 4/2017)

Just wondering if I should be trashing my 6190 and finding a new modem with the broadcom chipset.

Frequent Visitor

Re: SB6190 Puma 6 Chip defect - Firmware fix?

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Comcast Internet Support and literally got no where. The firmware on the modem I just bought is 9.1.93N, searches are showing that 9.1.93V is out and Comcast has had it for about 7 months. This is to help resolve the Intel Puma 6 issues. I have been having some issues with speed tests and Vudu UHD streaming is having a lot of problems.

So I called and requested the updated firmware and was told that because I own the equipment I am responsible for the firmware, Comcast doesn't have it and to call Arris. I demanded the next level of support, was refused, then requested a manager. Spoke to a manager, explained the issue, she said the same thing the first agent said, but offered to call and conference in Arris, Arris confirmed that the ISP is provided firmware updates and they do their own testing and update customer modems. Arris did recommend resetting to factory defaults, which I did and firmware is still showing same level. The manager then called their equipment department, and they were wanting to swap out my modem, I told him what I was looking for and what the issue was, he advised that his department doesn't handle that and that I needed to go back to the Internet department, which the manager from that department had dropped off the line, and he gave me a phone number that goes to a fax machine.

So tomorrow I guess I will start this process all over again. What a joke................

Frequent Visitor

So after another hour on the phone with Comcast, got a manager to call Level 2 and finally Level 3. My modem is now on their list to be updated in the next 24-48 hours. So we will see.

I told the manager that the level 1 documentation needs to be fixed, the run around I got was rediculous.

Frequent Visitor

So I checked my modem this morning and the event log shows "Received Response to Broadcast Maintenance Request, But no Unicast Maintenance opportunities received - T4 time out;" firmware is still a v9.1.93N. Called Comcast again, got the Level 1 run around again, got a manager on the phone, got to the "Advanced Repair Department" and was advised to power cycle and if there are any updates on the server they would be downloaded, did this and same version shows up. Was told that whatever version is on my modem is the latest version Comcast has. They reccommended I contact Arris again. I called Arris and again they confirmed that the ISP is responsible for pushing the firmware. I requested Arris open a complaint as Comcast has repeatedly stated that they are not responsible for Retail Modems and to contact the manfacturer of said modem for updates. All Comcast is responsible for is provisioning and verifying connectivity.

I am now waiting for a call back from Comcast so I can open a complaint on their side.

New Poster

If you're ever able to get it updated, keep outlining the process. I am unfortunately forced to use a Puma 6 device because of xfinity home security

New Poster

Just checked my sb6190 modem - it has the V upgrade from Comcast- not sure when it was installed.

New Poster

Mine picked up the "V" firmware as well.

Just ran a speed upload test - severe latency issue remains with the Puma chipset.

When throttling upstream to max, in my case 12mbps, latency on the connection jumps to 200+ms and I see downstream performance issues.

I'm leaning toward - the only fix is a new modem that doesn't have a Puma chipset.

New Poster

@twaldher1: That is not a valid test.

twaldher1 wrote:

When throttling upstream to max, in my case 12mbps, latency on the connection jumps to 200+ms and I see downstream performance issues. 

This is completely normal. When saturating your upstream link, ICMP (along with most other traffic, for that matter) will be buffered behind pending packet sends. This will cause a dramatic increase in latency.

The latency issue with the Puma 6 chipset is completely different, and fairly well documented for the lay-person here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

To avoid the type of congestion you're seeing I would recommend you use a router with a decent QoS setup, and make sure it's configured to throttle at the router at around 90% of your true upstream capacity (95-99% for downstream). This will leave adequate headroom to prevent the type of latency spikes you're seeing. I personally use an Asus RT-AC88U with the AsusMerlin firmware and do not experience any latency issues when running a speedtest at 220Mbps down/11Mbps up. For reference, I'm on an SB6190 with the "v" revision firmware.

Frequent Visitor

I called Arris and had my original receipt. They sent me a full refund! It took a will but I kept at it. When you call they won't admit to anything but just do your research on DSL reports to be able to speak intelligently with them. Be straight forward and say you want a full refund for this defective modem. Them might say they want to do some troubleshooting. Say no, modem is defective by design of the intel puma chipset. Latency is the worst but also it will get denial of service if someone sends it even a minimum of traffic! I can't believe Comcast allows these to be connected to their network! their service gets a bad rap and think of all the service calls!!!
Regular Visitor

neatchee wrote:

@twaldher1: That is not a valid test.

twaldher1 wrote:

This is completely normal. When saturating your upstream link, ICMP (along with most other traffic, for that matter) will be buffered behind pending packet sends. This will cause a dramatic increase in latency.

The latency issue with the Puma 6 chipset is completely different, and fairly well documented for the lay-person here: https://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/12/03/intel_puma_chipset_firmware_fix/

To avoid the type of congestion you're seeing I would recommend you use a router with a decent QoS setup, and make sure it's configured to throttle at the router at around 90% of your true upstream capacity (95-99% for downstream). This will leave adequate headroom to prevent the type of latency spikes you're seeing. I personally use an Asus RT-AC88U with the AsusMerlin firmware and do not experience any latency issues when running a speedtest at 220Mbps down/11Mbps up. For reference, I'm on an SB6190 with the "v" revision firmware.

No, not normal.

Laptop, direct in to my SB6190 - bad latency when upstream is saturated.

When I had a tech here, we swapped out my Arris modem for another brand he had for testing on the truck, direct to laptop again - no upstream latency issues when saturating the upstream side.

Now, if I saturate my download side, yes, latency goes up, but it only goes from 11ms up to 40ms, with occasional single ping spikes to 100ms.  Never 200ms.

Frequent Visitor

So it looks like mine got updated December 6th. Never did hear back from anyone at Comcast / Xfinity. So glad I pay so much a month, and can't get support.

Information
Standard Specification Compliant ARRIS DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem / Retail
Hardware Version 3
Software Version 9.1.93V

Wed Dec 06 04:45:29 2017 6 SW Download INIT - Via NMS
Wed Dec 06 04:46:12 2017 6 SW download Successful - Via NMS
New Poster

I have a similar story here. Went though Comcast level 1, 2 and then 3. They told me that they cannot update the firmware on retail equipment as it could potentially cause damage to the modem. They then recommended I contact Arris. I asked for the next level and they transferred me to Arris support.

While there, Arris told me that there were no firmware updates available for my modem. At this point I had already been on the phone for quite a while so naturally I demanded escalation. At level 2 they told me that the firmware would be sent to the ISP for testing and it would be up to them to administer. They could neither confirm or deny the existence of 9.1.93V.

At this point I dont have globs of time to continually pry at Comcat to fix this issue. I just want to be able to enjoy the UHD content I pay for which I could do on the leased Xfinity modem. I just refuse to pay $11/month for a modem again. It seems like the only alternative is to get the SB8200. Any other ideas?

Authorized Vendor

@ wrote:

I have a similar story here. Went though Comcast level 1, 2 and then 3. They told me that they cannot update the firmware on retail equipment as it could potentially cause damage to the modem.

This is not true the modems get upgraded to the latest Comcast approved firmware by Comcast..  This is a CSR that doesnt know better and I will forward this on to the correct people to get this corrected..

While there, Arris told me that there were no firmware updates available for my modem. At this point I had already been on the phone for quite a while so naturally I demanded escalation. At level 2 they told me that the firmware would be sent to the ISP for testing and it would be up to them to administer. They could neither confirm or deny the existence of 9.1.93V.

At Comcast the latest build is 9.1.93V, I will send you a PM so I can take a look and see why your device isnt loading the latest build..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Authorized Vendor

@ wrote:

I have a similar story here. Went though Comcast level 1, 2 and then 3. They told me that they cannot update the firmware on retail equipment as it could potentially cause damage to the modem.

Your upgraded to Firmware Version:  "9.1.93V"  So got that taken care of for you..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
New Poster

Thank you for your help! Right off the bat the ping plotter is much better. I will have to put it though its paces tonight.

Regular Visitor

For what it's worth, the firmware fix never fixed mine.  The issue was less pronounced but remained.

There are grumblings that the Puma 7 chipset has the same issue, unfortunately that's the chipset in Comcast's latest lease XB6 modem.  I recommend just buying an Intel version like the SB8200 and if you want to lease wait until Comcast has an Intel version.

On the SB8200, if I saturate my upstream, latency goes from 15ms to 50ms.   

Expert

The Puma7, like Puma6, is an Intel chipset.

Plus, the SB8200 has a Broadcom chipset, not an Intel one.

The Experts are regular customers who volunteer their time helping other customers on the Forums and have been recognized by the community. For more information on the Expert Program, please click here.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
New Poster

remove that and go with simply safe.