Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

SB6183 Won't connect to Upstream Channel

New Poster

SB6183 Won't connect to Upstream Channel

Hello,

I have a Surfboard SB6183 that won't connect to upstream channels or can't hold on to them. Everything has been working well for the past 9 months but stopped working yesterday. The weird part is that all internet stopped but we still had tv(X1) until I power cycled the modem. Now nothing works.
I started troubleshooting from the basics but am now out of ideas. I searched through the forums and followed all of the solutions including disconnect coaxial cables, reset modems, remove splitters, etc.
I have a technician call scheduled but the earliest they had available still leaves us out of all services for three days. I am just looking to see if anyone has any last solutions I can try while I wait for the technician.

Thanks for any help in advance.
Tags (3)
Expert

Re: SB6183 Won't connect to Upstream Channel

If you can even get them, what do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here; http://192.168.100.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

New Poster

The Upstream Channel goes in an out. I was able to get a shot with it filled in. I did this last night as well, the values all fell in within the published values for the modem.

I apologize for the quality of the photo.
IMG_0931.JPG
Expert

The downstream power is weak. Some tips to try if they apply;

In a self troubleshooting effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured. Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1002 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage types like GE, RadioShack, RCA, Philips, Leviton, Magnavox, and Rocketfish from big box stores like Home Depot, Lowes, Target, Wal-Mart etc. Splitters should be swapped with known to be good / new ones to test

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed, and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for and clean off any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

New Poster

Right. I gave all of that a shot already. The technician is here and seems to think there is an issue with the tap at the pole.

Thank you for taking your time to reply.
Expert

Good luck ! Please post back with how things turn out.

Official Employee

Hello LOUVITO, I wanted to reach out to you to see how everything was going in regards to your services. Was the tech able to take care of your issue?