Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

SB6141 - Downstream Channels - only 4 channels bonding

Regular Visitor

SB6141 - Downstream Channels - only 4 channels bonding

I have had xfinity/comcast for a few years now. have had occasional problems., but this time around.....its a bit different.

on or about 25-feb - there was some maintenance work done in our neighborhood and we lost total connectivity for a few mins. After that.., our download speeds have been totally all over.

We subscribe to 150mbps down and in the past all 8 downstream channels on my SB6141 were bonded. Now, when i look at it, it only shows 4 downstream channels to be bonded.  This has happened in the past, but a call to comcast and a remote config push would fix it.

This time, they said, a tech needs to come and check it out. The tech who came blamed it on the 'white' modem - and said only 4 channels are supposed to be bonded and not more -- which i know is totally false. He then said, only thing he can do is replace it with Comcasts' rental modem, which he did -- and fortunately or unfortunately when he was around, 24 downstream channels got bonded..... He then said it was my 'white' modems fault .. 

A few hours after he left, we again ran into similar problems - ie., on the rental modem - speeds are all over -- sometimes as low as 1.5mbps -- and someitmes 150mbps..downstream.

Right now, as i post this, 19 downstream channels are bonded on the xfinity rental modem. 

Any pointers how to go about this would help...

Oh to top it, xfinity has post a $70 service fee on my account - blaming that my personal SB6141 modem was at fault.,. which i now to figure out how to get resloved.

Contributor

Re: SB6141 - Downstream Channels - only 4 channels bonding

It is simple. The more channels a modem can take advantage of the better. It is indeed your SB6141.

I recently swapped out my old Arris SB6121 due to these exact issues. I went with a Netgear CM1000 just in case they ever release gigabit here in my town.

You say you have 19 downstream channels. I only have 16 downstream channels. As of now while I post this. This is what my signal is on my modem.

downstream.png
Authorized Vendor

@apkhouston wrote:

A few hours after he left, we again ran into similar problems - ie., on the rental modem - speeds are all over -- sometimes as low as 1.5mbps -- and someitmes 150mbps..downstream.

Right now, as i post this, 19 downstream channels are bonded on the xfinity rental modem.

Just from this if i took a guess I would say RF issues..  But post your signals, make sure you remove your CM-MAC..  As for the channels it is true the more channels the better so your modem has more space on the coax..  The fact that the channels keep dropping tells me you have RF issues..  Just getting a "new" modem isnt going to fix it but it will mask the underlying issue for a little..

-------------------------------------
Network Engineer, IP Engineer, Docsis..; the views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer..

Gamer.. Living the dream one catastrophe at a time Smiley Happy ..
Expert

I've asked a Comcast employee to help you. You should expect a reply in this thread. 

FYI: They owe you a $20 credit for every tech visit after the first for the same problem.You can also get a credit for your service from the time you first reported the issue until it is resolved.

"Keepin' it clean since '09"
I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator.
Official Employee

Hi apkhouston. Sorry to learn you are still encountering issues with your internet service. I can assist with troubleshooting your connection issues and scheduling another Technician visit if diagnostic tests warrant it. I can also review the technician visit fee you were charged. Please send me a private message and include your full name, service address, and account number so I can access your account.

Regular Visitor

Here are the screenshots of the signal page..

Downstream Channels -- Currently 19 Channels bonded (when the tech was at site, it was bonded on 24 channels)Down01.PNG

Down03.PNGDown04.PNGDown05.PNG

The Upstream Channels :

Up01.PNG