Community Forum

SB6121 Firmware Version

Frequent Visitor

SB6121 Firmware Version

I'm trying to find out if my SB6121 cable modem has the latest firmware installed. I would appreciate it if anyone with this modem could check their firmware version and let me know what it is.  Mine says: Model Name: SB6121, Vendor Name: Motorola, Firmware Name: SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.16-SCM00-NOSH, Boot Version: PSPU-Boot(25CLK) 1.0.12.18m3,  Hardware Version: 5.0, Serial Number: 359079336146223301012019, Firmware Build Time: Feb 16 2016 11:28:04q.

Thanks in advance.

New Poster

Re: SB6121 Firmware Version

I have the same modem and firmware edition.  I own my modem too.

Apparently Comcast does not update frimware on customer owned devices, not a good practice.

I also got a call today about having to upgrade my modem.

I'd like to update the firmware first before shelling out money on a new modem.

Expert

Comcast does automatically update the firmware on all approved modems connected to their network pushed through from the CMTS.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Frequent Visitor

cpfenn, are you moving to a higher speed? That's the only reason I know of that Comcast would want you to upgrade. As far as I know, the SB6121 is still an approved modem.

New Poster

So basically the SB6121 with firmsare SB_KOMODO-1.0.6.16-SCM00-NOSH is on the approved list and Comcast is responsible for keeping it current. If this is so why my every support call to Comcast with connectivity issues starts with that: "your modem is outdated and you are eligible for an upgrade".  If I ask what they mean by upgrade the operators cannot clearly explain.  I think the poor call center operators read from the standard message they supposed read from to make customers buy new modems from Comcast.  Unfortunately this is unfair to Comcast customers and some more intelligent interaction should be taking place instead.

Expert

It’s a 4x4 channel bonding modem. The reason they tell you it’s outdated because now they have more and more channels you can bond in newer modems. It helps you out of the channels get crowded to help keep mainting your speed. If you’re happy with what you have, then keep what you have.

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.

New Poster

I think it is worse. Checked the list of approved and it is not approved anymore - https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/device/arris-sb6121-292

New Poster

I bought a SB6183 off of Amazon yesterday as a replacement. It was only $62 with a coupon.

Considering I've had the 6121 for almost 8 years, I think I got my moneys worth.

New Poster

Right - ordered SB6190 for ~$60 on prime..

Expert

The SB6190 has problems with the Intel Puma 6 chipset. The SB6183 is better. If you plan on upgrading to Extreme Pro or Gig, then a DOCSIS 3.1 modem would be what you need.

New Poster

The 6190 is currently $88 with the coupon.