Community Forum

SB 8200 with Gig Internet

Regular Visitor

SB 8200 with Gig Internet

I decided to upgrade my internet speed to a gig because it was a available in my area. I will likely not keep it at a gig as it is overkill but eventually the prices will come down and at that point, I'll probably keep it.  I have the awful SB 6190 with the puma chip and as I have never been a fan of Comcast modems especially now that you can't turn off the xfinity hotspot thing even if the modem is in bridge mode. I figured it would be a good time to change / upgrade modems.  I went with the SB 8200 which is supported in my area by Comcast for gig service. 

The speeds are all over the place.   I am ONLY talking about hard wired speed in this post.  I am not using a wifi router so I can rule that out as the problem.

I have hit 800 mbs once but am typically around 400 to 500.   I have called tech support multiple times and they can't figure out what is wrong with it and I'm absolutely beating my head into a wall as to why I can not consistently get speeds in the 850 to 900 range (I don't expect a gig all the time but i do expect better than 40% of the promised speed). 

I know there are other posts with similar issues and some people just gave up on the modem unfortunately, I bought the modem over 30 days ago so I can not return it.  I can post a screenshot of what all the download channels say when I log into 198.168.100.1 but I'm not that tech savy of a person, so I have no idea what any of it means.

What I've already done:

1. I have tried hard resetting it multiple times

2. I spoke to tech support and they say everything looks fine on their end

3. I'd really like to avoid having a tech come out and charge me for service or tell me I simply need to use their modem.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Diamond Problem Solver

Re: SB 8200 with Gig Internet

First. You would not have ever gotten gig speed with that 6190 (DOCSIS 3.0). It must be a DOCSIS 3.1 capable modem like your 8200.

Second. Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

Regular Visitor

here is the data i was able to get on the modem stats.   any help is serioulsy appreciated.  the speeds are still around 400 to 500 directly wired to multiple diffferent laptops so i've ruled the laptop out as the cause as well.

download.pngdownload channelsevent log.pngevent logstatus.pngstatusupstream.pngupload channels

Expert

Your levels look fine. So...

I've asked an employee to check the CMTS for real-time and historical RF signal reports from your modem. They can also check your local node/plant for any degradation or error reports. You can expect a reply in this thread. 

I am not a Comcast employee, just a moderator. Pls observe Wheaton's Law.
Regular Visitor

thank you so much!

not sure if it will help but I've attached three pictures showing the download speed variations i am seeing over a 24 hour period.   in my old speed tier (prior to upgrading to gigabit).  I was very consistently posting 289 mbs download and 10 mbs upload using the same exact testing program. 

Thank you again.

1 of 4 speed test.jpg
2 of 4 speed test.jpg
3 of 4 speed test.jpg
4 of 4 speed test.jpg
Official Employee

Hi plasmadrones, I can assist you with getting your speeds up to where they need to be. Can you please send me a private message with your full name, street address, and account number by clicking on my name (ComcastAmir) and then "private message me"? 

Regular Visitor

Would you be able to help me get my speeds up?  I have already called support, had a tech come to the house, but I still cannot get speeds over 300-500 vith Gigabit service.  I have the CM1000 Netgear modem have tested a number of different ways.  Need help.

Official Employee

Fandangoble wrote: Would you be able to help me get my speeds up?  I have already called support, had a tech come to the house, but I still cannot get speeds over 300-500 vith Gigabit service.  I have the CM1000 Netgear modem have tested a number of different ways.  Need help.

Yes, I can assist you with getting your speeds to where they need to be as well. Please send me a private message with your account information so we can get started. 

Official Employee

Fandangoble wrote: Yes, I believe it is resolved.  Thank you for all of your support and continued assistance.

I am glad that we were able to get this taken care of for you, have a good day.