Community Forum

Running DHCPv6 Server at home

Highlighted
New Poster

Running DHCPv6 Server at home

I have gigabit internet and have the modem set in bridge mode and use OPNSense as my router.  Instead of having the ISP hand out IPv6 addresses, I want to be allocated a /64 block (or at /60 block if possible) so that I can use DHCPv6 and manually assign certain addresses to certain machines.

But when I configure it in this way, it fails to fetch a prefix.  Is it possible to request just the /64 prefix and not directly assign addresses?

Expert

Re: Running DHCPv6 Server at home

Since OPNsense is in the FreeBSD family, see if this helps;

https://content.pivotal.io/blog/configuring-freebsd-9-1-as-a-native-ipv6-dhcp-client

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Running DHCPv6 Server at home

I can get it working when I do Track Interface (Which passes all IPv6 requests to the ISP to configure via SLAAC).

But what I want instead is for OPNSense to request the prefix only (which I know how to configure it to do), and be given authority to assign ipv6 addresses in the /64 prefix on its own.

Currently, when I try to request just a /64 prefix, it fails to fetch anything at all.