Community Forum

Routine Packet Loss Every Night

New Poster

Routine Packet Loss Every Night

For the last four or so weeks, I have been experiencing routine packet loss that is interrupting many things ranging from playing games to doing school work at night. This issue begins every night starting around 8pm to 8am the following morning and it's beginning to drive me mad. I've ran PingPlotter tests to a few different stable servers as well as directly to the router itself and only see the loss beginning on the first hops out of the local network. This issue has been reported to the online customer care which has remotely rebooted the gateway, sent a new gateway, and scheduled a technician visit, all of which have not solved the issue.

Expert

Re: Routine Packet Loss Every Night

Is this with a WiFi connection ? If so, for a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Actually kind of a good point. I've been lost in trying to find a solution to all of this (at least from what I can on my side) that I have not yet hardwired into the gateway itself. That will also be tested tonight, though I would hypothesize that the result would be the same. Though if it were a wifi related issue, there's been no new devices (aside from the new gateway) in the last six months so for the issue to begin four weeks ago out of nowhere is a bit strange and led me down a different path of troubleshooting.

To add on as well, this issue is not limited to one device on wifi as it does happen to all. Having said that though, there is not a device hardwired to the gateway itself due to location of the gateway (more so the coax coming in) in relation to connected devices

New Poster

Now that it's 10:30pm, I've had a computer hardwired to the gateway and running PingPlotter in tandem with a wireless computer to compare results. The hardwired PC is running the test to four different servers, all of which are showing the same packet loss at the same intervals as well as with the PC on a wireless connection. I think it might be safe to say that it is not a WiFi problem at this point, and another thing I can check off of the list. Going to let the tests run overnight and will post both graphs tomorrow if needed.

New Poster

packetloss1.PNG

This is a sample of what it looks like at nights. Pictured is this past Saturday night and last night from the wireless connection to a stable game server (though websites like Google and Comcast reflect the same). The wired connection shows the same packet loss, but without the spikes in ping (I can handle those, that's not the concern). The amount of packet loss varies between nights, but the schedule is roughly the same, though last night it appeared to end sooner, around 7am instead of the normal 7:30-8am. If there is any other needed pictures, I can provide the information needed. I'm running out of ideas of what this is though I do feel at this point it is out of my control to resolve.