Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Router security issue!!!!

Highlighted
New Poster

Router security issue!!!!

I just discovered that the button on the top of the router which allows access to the wifi network without the need to type in a password can also reveal your password.  My son, in an effort to get around being blocked from wi-fi access, simply hit the button on the router, then on his computer he hit the "show password" option on the log-in screen.  This revealed the wi-fi network password on his PC. Not only does this defeat the purpose of using time-out or parental control features (kids are very computer savvy), this could expose your password to someone who may have criminal intentions (such as repairmen, cleaning services or any other stranger in your home who knows about this).

Does Comcast have any solutions for this?

Accepted Solutions
Official Employee

Re: Router security issue!!!!

Hi, stuartsdb - There are several router models (not only from Comcast) that have a WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button. It helps to connect devices like wireless printers by using a PIN instead of entering a password that may include special characters. If you need help with disabling it - please let me know.   

All Replies
Contributor

If you're talking about the WPS button, then you can disable it.

Official Employee

Hi, stuartsdb - There are several router models (not only from Comcast) that have a WPS (Wi-Fi Protected Setup) button. It helps to connect devices like wireless printers by using a PIN instead of entering a password that may include special characters. If you need help with disabling it - please let me know.