Community Forum

Router drops connection, Device connects to 'unsecured home network'

New Poster

Router drops connection, Device connects to 'unsecured home network'

Our router is constantly disconnecting and my device attempts to connect to my 'unsecured network.' This happens CONSTANTLY, sometimes every few seconds. It's MADDENING.
Expert

Re: Router drops connection, Device connects to 'unsecured home network'

For a test, does a computer hardwired directly to the router / gateway device with an ethernet cable have the same problem ?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

We have a two-fold problem: 1) Devices are constantly being disconnected and reconnected. We know this because a 'disconnected' and 'connected' alert pops up on the devices (both Apple and Android.) 2) When the connection drops, my device attempts to connect to our 'unsecured' xfinity Hotspot, which I have turned off, yet it still continues to try to connect. Does that help?
Expert

Have you tried doing the test ? We are trying to narrow it down to being a general connectivity to the Comcast system problem or a WiFi-only problem.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I just ran the test. The connection rarely drops on the laptops, whether wired or wireless. It is almost entirely an issue with our tablets and phones.
Expert

A wired connection shouldn't drop at all. What do the modem's signal stats look like ? Try getting them here http://192.168.100.1 or here http://10.0.0.1

Please post the *Downstream Power Level*, the *Upstream Power Level*, and the *SNR* (Signal to Noise Ratio) numbers.

What is the exact make and model number of the modem ?

New Poster

Gawd.  I am unable to log in to the second link you sent me using my xfinity credentials.  The first link never connects and just hangs.

Expert

The defaults are admin for the username and password for the password.

New Poster

Vendor: Technicolor
Model: CGM4140COM
Downstream (from first column): 
Power Level
2.7 dBmV
Upstream (from first column):
Power Level
46.0 dBmV
New Poster

SNR
37.1 dB
Expert

Is that all the up and the down channels ? If not, post a pic of all the channels.

New Poster

Upstream:

Power Level
46.0 dBmV
46.5 dBmV
45.0 dBmV
46.0 dBmV

Downstream:

SNR
37.1 dB
36.6 dB
36.6 dB
36.6 dB
36.7 dB
36.9 dB
36.8 dB
36.8 dB
36.8 dB
37.1 dB
37.0 dB
37.0 dB
37.1 dB
37.1 dB
37.2 dB
37.2 dB
37.3 dB
37.2 dB
37.1 dB
37.0 dB
37.0 dB
37.1 dB
37.0 dB
36.6 dB
36.5 dB
36.6 dB
36.7 dB
36.6 dB
36.7 dB
36.4 dB
36.3 dB
14.2 dB
NA
Power Level
2.7 dBmV
4.0 dBmV
4.2 dBmV
3.5 dBmV
3.4 dBmV
3.4 dBmV
3.5 dBmV
3.4 dBmV
3.3 dBmV
3.4 dBmV
3.4 dBmV
3.3 dBmV
3.4 dBmV
3.2 dBmV
3.2 dBmV
3.3 dBmV
3.2 dBmV
3.1 dBmV
3.0 dBmV
2.8 dBmV
2.8 dBmV
2.8 dBmV
2.5 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
1.7 dBmV
2.2 dBmV
2.3 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
2.4 dBmV
2.1 dBmV
1.8 dBmV
2.0 dBmV
NA

Does this work?

Expert

Stats are good. If this is a WiFi only problem, here are some tips for improving WiFi performance;

http://corporate.comcast.com/comcast-voices/10-ways-you-might-be-killing-your-home-wi-fi-signal

http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Your-Home-Network/Improve-Your-Wireless-Gateway-Home-Network/td-p/26276...

New Poster

The problem occurs even with my desktop computer plugged directly into my wireless router. So my internet connections drop constantly, wifi and wired. How can comcast not be able to fix this?

New Poster

I'm not going to diagnose comcast's  technical problems for them. I'll break my contract and find another provider.

Expert

Please also post the modem component's RF error / event log entries if you wish..