Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

New Poster

Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

I currently have an Apple AirPort Express and will be starting internet service with the Comcast modem/router (one device). I'm wondering if there is any benefit for internet speed or wifi strength by also having the Apple AirPort? Is this even possible? 

Problem Solver

Re: Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

Apple hasn't updated the AirPort Express in a while, so you probably have Wireless-N on it. The newer Comcast gateways will have the much faster Wireless-AC radios. 

You could still use the Airport Express as a range extender if you have wireless dead spots in your house, but having that on your network will slow your wireless speeds down noticeably. 

"Sometimes the best way to learn something is by doing it wrong and looking at what you did." - Neil Gaiman
Expert

Re: Router Question (Apple AirPort Express)

abuttonquail wrote:

I currently have an Apple AirPort Express and will be starting internet service with the Comcast modem/router (one device). I'm wondering if there is any benefit for internet speed or wifi strength by also having the Apple AirPort? Is this even possible? 

If you are talking about hanging the Airport Express off of the Comcast gateway device without having the gateway device put in to *bridge mode*, you would be cascading 2 routing devices which results in an undesirable "double NAT" condition on your home network.

Google "double NAT" for info about it's potential pitfalls.

The Airport Express only has 10/100 ethernet ports. Forget about using it. It is a low horsepower dinosaur.