Xfinity plant
Community Forum
Xfinity globe

Router Drops Connection to Internet Randomly

New Poster

Router Drops Connection to Internet Randomly

We recently had the X1 Xfinity platform installed in our home and have been having issues with it over the course of the week.

Seemingly at random, the router's connection to the internet would drop, but we would still be able to access the router and change settings through the default gateway, so nothing has been wrong with our ability to connect to the router.

We tried calling tech support for assistance and followed their instructions, which mostly consisted of simply unplugging the coax cable and the power supply for different intervals. That didn't help, however, so we tried connecting the router to the wall directly instead of the splitter that also connects to the cable box.

This also did not help, so we thought that the router was to blame and that it was defective. We had it replaced, but then experienced the same problems with the new router.

This leads me to believe that the cable itself, in the walls or outside, is the problem.

If this isn't the case or if someone has had some experience with this kind of situation, I would appreciate some help.

Accepted Solutions
Expert

Re: Router Drops Connection to Internet Randomly

The upstream power is too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec.That will cause random disconnects and spontaneous re-booting of the modem.

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

All Replies
Problem Solver

By router you mean modem/gateway? What is this piece of hardware make/model

Can you quert modem for Up/Down stream power levels and SNR.

If the signal is noisy it can cause dropouts and reset modem.

New Poster

I have had the same problem for the last 2-3 weeks, ever since I got the new router as part of the same X1 platform update. It has been so frustrating. I never had any such problem with the previous modem with my wireless router. Is there a firmware update that I could do to resolve this issue? I am suspecting this is an issue with the modem/router.

New Poster

By router, I'm referring to a wireless router that has a coax cable from the wall connected to it. The hardware make/model doesn't seem to matter as we have tried different models and gotten the same effect, but if it's any help, the router model is an ARRIS TG862G/CT.

Upstream power level is at 54.00 dBmV

Downstream power level is at -0.79 dBmV and downstream SNR is 37.94 dB

Not sure what the "channel bonding value" has anything to do with these values.

Oh, and the internet connection dropped as I wrote this.

Expert

The upstream power is too high and may be intermittently fluctuating even higher out of spec.That will cause random disconnects and spontaneous re-booting of the modem.

In an effort to try to obtain better connectivity / more wiggle room, check to see if there are there any excess/unneeded coax cable splitters in the line leading to the modem that can be eliminated/re-configured ? Any splitters that remain should be high quality and cable rated for 5-1000 MHz, bi-directional, and no gold colored garbage from Radio Shack, Home Depot, Target, etc.

If there aren't any unneeded splitters that can be eliminated and if your coax wiring setup can't be reconfigured so that there is a single two way splitter connected directly off of the drop from the street/pole with one port feeding the modem and the other port feeding the rest of the house/equipment with additional splits as needed and you've checked all the wiring and fittings for integrity and tightness and refresh them by taking them apart then check for any corrosion / oxidation on the center wire and put them back together again, then perhaps it's best to book a tech visit to investigate and correct.

New Poster

Thank you for the information, EG. Before I had a chance to read this thread again, we scheduled a tech visit for the 24th, so I assume all of our issues will be addressed there, but if not, I'll mention what you said.

Expert

You should try the self troubleshooting stuff anyway. And if you can get the upstream power down to between 40 to 50 dB, you can likely cancel the tech visit. Be advised that if the tech finds the problem to be with your wiring / hardware / splitters in your home you can be charged a fee. Good luck with it !

New Poster

Looks like your problem was resolved, but I wanted to add how I resolved mine when I had the same issue. I took out the battery from my modem. Don't ask me why it fixed it, but it did. Hope this helps someone.